Apple Mail and Outgoing Address

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pooterscientist, Mar 17, 2008.

1. pooterscientist macrumors newbie

Okay, so I used gmail since its inception and now have a mac so I want to use apple mail, for e all of its features - integration with calendar, etc. However I have one problem, because I want all of my sent mail to have a different address on it (my school email address) then my gmail address. I tried configuring my outgoing mail server to be different but to no avail. I believe the problem is that my school mail is all automatically directed to my gmail account, but I can't change that because I still want the ability to check my messages on gmail from other computers. Does anyone know how to do this?

2. stomer macrumors 6502a

You need to go to you gmail account and change some settings.

1. Click on Settings
    2. Click on Accounts.
    3. Click on "Add another mail account"
    4. Type in the your schools address
    5. Click next
    6. Send a verification email

Once you've done the above you'll then be allowed to send emails from your school address by using your gmail account.

3. pooterscientist thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but what i was asking how I could do that in apple mail. I already have that ability in gmail.

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Add your school account in Apple Mail but turn off checking for new messages/downloading/etc. Then you should have an "account" drop down in Mail when sending a message.

5. stomer macrumors 6502a

Edit your accounts settings, and change the email address field to contain your school's email address. As long as you've made the changes specified in my previous post, then gmail won't replace your school's email address with the email address of your gmail account.

6. techguy40 macrumors regular

when you compose a new message, just add a new reply address field and put your email address where you want people to reply to.