Apple mail and Outlook problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hi-tech, Dec 2, 2009.

1. hi-tech macrumors newbie

I set up a gmail pop3 account and it works fine on my apple laptop but when i got t owork and set it up on my outlook it worked fine there but when i got hime it didn't work on my laptop anymore until i deleted it from my outlook account???? any ideas will be greatly appreciated

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What do you mean by "it didn't work"?

4. hi-tech thread starter macrumors newbie

meaning that when I got home apple mail would not retreive any mail? the next day i deleted the account from outlook and when i got home apple mail worked fine. i had the outlook set up to leave the message on the server but I do nto know how to check that setting on apple mail

5. ethical macrumors 68000

As mentioned, set it up as IMAP

POP only downloads the emails to your desktop application, whereas IMAP syncs the desktop applications with each other and with the online google app. If you use IMAP you wont have to delete/read every email several times, and a message you send from work will appear in the sent folder at home and online if you login to your gmail account, and vice-versa etc.

6. hi-tech thread starter macrumors newbie

I still dont understand why I am not getting teh mail on my home machine through apple mail even if it is pop3 it still should work, unless it is a mac / microsoft thing. how do i cham=nge the apple mail settings to make sure it is keeping teh messagfe on the server?

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is not the answer to my question. My guess is that Mail is working as designed and expected. Nothing in your post even hints at evidence to the contrary. In all probability, Outlook is set to delete your messages from the server irrespective of your declaration above. When you go home, you can't download messages because they have been removed from the server by Outlook.

FWIW, I have two Gmail POP3 accounts have no problems with either of them.

8. hi-tech thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, what is weird is that all the messages are still on gmail on the web so Apple mail is the only one that is not receiving them. if outlook was removing them from the server then they wouldn't still be on the web, correct?

9. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I once had an issue where a client couldn't get their Apple Mail application to retrieve their email if their iPhone had established a connection to the same mail server. Of course, in that case it was an email address issued by his ISP, not Gmail. As far as he and I could tell it seemed that the email provider would not allow simultaneous access to the server from two different devices. Did I understand your issue correctly, that you have the same email account set up on two different computers? My guess is that if you left your work computer on and it was maintaining an active connection, your MacBook/MacBook Pro/Air couldn't establish a second connection as long as the first one was up.

10. hi-tech thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, i have the same account on two machines. so mac will not allow that?

11. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

One of the problems is that you have omitted so much information that everyone who wants to help you is left to guess about your settings. Millions of iPhone users access their email via their iPhones and Outlook without losing Mail access to the same accounts.

Until you back up and explain your setup, then you will continue to receive a lot of WAGs but very little help.

12. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

The POP3 protocol was not designed with multiple device access in mind. If one device is reading the account, a second device will have problems reading the account.

IMAP was designed with multiple device access in mind.

S-

13. hi-tech thread starter macrumors newbie

I am trying to answer everyone's questions to the best of my ability and have asked how to get to the settings so I can make sure that I have my Apple mai lset to leave messages on teh server but nobody has responded yet. I don't know what else you would be asking for but I assure you that if you ask something specific I will do my best to answer. So what set-up information are you saying everyone is asking for as I do not see that anywhere?

14. hi-tech thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't know that about the pop3 because on my other computers and phone I do nto have thsi problem, it is only on teh Mac apple mail. is this specific to apple mail? Are you saying Apple mail does not respond as user friendly to pop3 as microsoft?

15. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I can't speak for sidewinder, but I can speak for myself. I have several POP3 and IMAP accounts. I access them at home via Mail, at work via Entourage, and in my shirt pocket via my iPhone. No problems at all. Among POP3 accounts are a Microsoft Live.com account and two Gmail accounts.

To the best of my knowledge, you are the first person on this forum to report such a problem. If you leave your messages on the POP3 server, then the next POP3 client that accesses your account on the server should download your messages. If you delete the local copy of your messages, then your POP3 client will download them again. Only if you delete your messages will they not be downloaded.

Lacking access to your systems, everyone else is left to guesses based on personal experience. My personal experience is that this is not a Mac/Windows thing. It is a hi-tech thing. hi-tech must go through each of his settings on each of his computers to chase down the problem.

16. hi-tech thread starter macrumors newbie

Understood. Where do I go to check the preferences in Apple mail to make sure it is set to leave a message on the server etc.? As you probably know, I am not too familiar with Apple.

17. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is not a Mac issue. The setting differences between Mail and Outlook Express are fewer than the setting differences between Outlook Express and Eudora. Maybe one of your problems is that you are being intimidated by expectations of differences that don't exist.

Go through all of your Outlook settings for your Gmail account. Write them down. Then go through your Mail settings for the small account. Write them down. To access your Mail settings:
    • Click Preferences... under the Apple menu.
    • Click the Accounts tab.
    • Click the Gmail account icon in the sidebar.
    • Click in succession your tabs for Account Information, Mailbox Behaviors, and Advanced.
    This said, it is not at all clear that your Mail settings are the problem. You should also go through your Gmail settings on the web. Make sure that everything is as you intend. If you are not sure, then get a friend to go through your settings with you.