Apple Mail and remote folders

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cowm007, May 26, 2007.

1. cowm007 macrumors regular

I've been using a Mac Mini as a server for a few weeks now and haven't been able to figure this out. In Apple Mail, when I make new folders under the Mac Mini server, they all seem to be created as top level folders in a different section of the app. (In the @JlpMini section). I am still hosting my email on a shared hosting service, and would like to keep the same format now that I'm moving to my own server. As you can see, on the shared host, I can make child folders which lets me organize my mail very well and keep it spam free.
    [​IMG]
    The Mini is running OS X 10.4. I am using Postfix enabler on it, which uses Postfix as the mail delivery service and UW IMAP for IMAP services. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the way the UW IMAP service works. If this is the case, what other IMAP service options do I have on the Mac? Can anyone explain why I can't create child folders on my Mini mail server? Thanks in advance.

2. cowm007 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok I figured it out. UW IMAP bundled with Postfix Enabler only supports "mbox" formats for mailboxes, which only allow for top level folders. I looked around and finally chose "Dovecot" as a replacement IMAP server which supports "maildir". This allowed me to create subfolders now and Apple Mail is working as expected. Guess it didn't have to do with Apple Mail but with the IMAP software itself.