Apple Mail and Snow Leopard - Memory Hog

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NeverhadaPC, Oct 9, 2009.

1. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

System: Snow-Leopard 10.6.1 on uMPB with 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HD, 2.8 GHz IC2D, Mail (64-bit) 4.1 (1076)

In short: Mail is eating my memory over time and I cannot fix this problem.

In long:
    I have been having trouble with Apples Mail ever since my SL upgrade but now it is getting to become VERY annoying.

First, after upgrading, Mail would often hang when quitting (for up for 5 minutes) which would not allow me to shut off my computer.

Now, in 10.6.1, when I open Mail, I can sit and watch Mail eat away my RAM. From 20 MB initially, it quickly hits 100 MB RAM then after a couple of hours of leaving it be, I can see that Mail is requiring 2.5-2.6 GB of RAM (Gigabytes!) constantly.

At first, I thought this was due to GrowlMail not being compatible with 10.6, but even after updating Growl to 64-bit and reinstalling GrowlMail this memory problem still persists. Actually, after uninstalling Growl and all its applications (including GrowlMail) Mail keeps eating a solid 2.6 GB of my RAM. Continuously.

This slows down my 4GB 2.8GHz uMBP and causes long sessions of spinning balls and delayed keyboard/mouse actions. Mail never lets go of the RAM only gets bigger up until 2.73 GB (highest I have seen before I force quit it through Activity Monitor). Once I Force Quit, Mail releases the memory and I am back to my fast mac.

Update: I found the following this at apple.com and after removing my RSS feeds from Mail and restarting mail, I am now running perfectly again --- Virtual Memory and RAM both less than 45 MB! Fixed!

2. swedefish macrumors 6502

I am afraid I can't be of help here but I would love to find out how you went about uninstalling Growl. It is very annoying getting the error message every time I open mail.app, however, I can't figure out how to get rid of it. Thanks!

3. NeverhadaPC thread starter macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

Go and re-download Growl. They include an uninstaller with the download and it works for me.

Good luck.

4. swedefish macrumors 6502

Thanks, this worked!

5. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I can only recommend doing a complete clean install with SL, bit of a hassle but it should get it working.

And by clean, I mean not migrating from another drive, or from Time Machine.

Kind Regards