Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spudhead

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2013
Ok so the Mail app on my 2011 MacBook Pro has been faultless since I got this machine almost a full 5 years ago, that is until last week when every time I opened the app it wouldn't load my emails and gave me the message 'could not login' or similar and asked me to re-enter my password, which I tried several times and every time it said it was not able to verify the account.

So today it still wasn't working and I decided to just delete the account and then re-add it to see if that worked, so I deleted my hotmail account.

I then tried to re-add the account and it says "the account already exists" and wont let me re-add my hotmail account to the Mail app. However the only other account listed is my iCloud account that uses the same hotmail address apparently when I view its details. No idea what purpose the iCloud account actually serves apart from doing backups of my iPhone.

So now Im wondering how I can re-add my hotmail account and start receiving my emails again? I'm lost.

Many thanks!

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
It's a known issue with Hotmail and the mail app. I'm suffering from the same issue. There are multiple threads in various forums including Apple forums but there's no definitive answer or steps to solve this problem.

Spudhead

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2013
It's just so odd that it was and has been working perfectly for the last 5 years then it just suddenly decides to throw a hissy fit. Should I just use another email client?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
When you log in with that account at the Outlook.com website what do you see in the top left of the page? Is it "Outlook.com" or is it "Outlook Mail"?

If it's the latter, try to add the account to your Mac as "Exchange".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.