Apple Mail App Wont work with my Gmail Account

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 08mxkfx, Nov 28, 2009.

1. 08mxkfx macrumors regular

08mxkfx

I have an iMac running Snow Leopard and im trying to add my gmail account to the mail app and im entering the right password and username and i keep getting- "Logging in to the Gmail IMAP server “imap.gmail.com” failed. Make sure the user name and password you entered are correct, then click Continue. If the information isn’t correct, you cannot receive messages." and my mail wont sync or anything. I tried with both imap and pop and neither work. In my gmail setting i have both pop and imap turned on so i dont get why im having a problem. My gmail account that i used to have on my account before i upgraded to snow leopard still works and my mobile me account works but i cant add any new gmail accounts. Ive tried adding a few different gmail accounts and none will work.

2. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

I have several working with my account and I can attempt to help you out. First, and I know this sounds dumb, make sure your password isn't "password". A friend of mine had that and it wouldn't work for him... I don't know why.

Once that is done, confirm you can login to mail.google.com

Then:
    incoming mail server: imap.gmail.com
    user name: <username> (no @gmail.com)
    password: <pass>

Under advanced:
    Port: 993 (Check Use SSL)
    Authentication: Password

For your SMTP:
    smtp.gmail.com
    Use default ports (25, 465, 587)
    Check "Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)"