Apple Mail Application Help Needed - Mail History Has Vanished

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kayakjack, Jul 6, 2009.

1. kayakjack macrumors newbie

Hello. I opened my Apple Mail icon a couple hours ago and everything seemed fine as I recall. I shut down my Mac and started it up again maybe 45 minutes ago. All my email history had completely vanished and it was instructing me to set up my mail. I got my verizon account info (haven't done my old comcast info yet), and I just received an one incoming message, but all my email history has vanished ( I have no backup, my fault I know). Could anyone advise me what has happened, and if it is possible to restore my history? Thank you for your help. Regards, kayakjack

2. weekendsrule32 macrumors member

Go to your finder, and go to your home directory. Under library, there should be a folder called mail. In that, all your messages should be there somewhere if you had mail keep a copy. If not, verizon should have the emails on their server. Check this by logging into your mail account through the verizon website, and they should be there. There should be a function in mail to download all messages off the server, i will keep looking and post back if i find anything.

3. kayakjack thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks weekendrules - found that, but still need help

Thanks weekendsrule32. Figured out the Finder and found all my backup mails from both verizon and comcast. Haven't figured out how to get them all back into the Apple Mail yet though. Also, any thoughts on why/how this happened so maybe I can avoid it again in the future? Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated. Regards, kayakjack

4. kayakjack thread starter macrumors newbie

OK - Looks like I fixed it - but . . .

Would still like to determine how/why this happened in the first place. Any thoughts? Thank you again. Regards, kayakjack

5. weekendsrule32 macrumors member

so you got the mail back into mail? Good to hear. I cannot say i know what happened. When you opened mail, was it completely reset, like, with no accounts? I have never seen or heard about that before. If it happens again, it may be worth bringing to an apple store to have it looked at by a genius. There is usually nothing they can't figure out. They are geniuses, after all. Glad i could help!

6. kayakjack thread starter macrumors newbie

Update for weekendsrule32

Thank you for following this, weekendsrule32. Yes, it was completely reset, with no accounts at all, and my inbox, sent, and deleted mailboxes had zero emails in them. And I had thousands in my inbox before. I did not do anything myself to cause this I'm certain of that. I was wondering if there is some type of virus that might cause this, but one of the reasons I got a Mac was because I thought they were somewhat immune from that? I never got any software for that, but maybe I should? Thanks again for your help. Emails are so impersonal, but again, much appreciated. I'm out of business without my computer. Regards, kayakjack

7. weekendsrule32 macrumors member

Glad i could help. I don't think it was a virus, as it doesn't sound like something a virus would do. And yes, it is true OSX is better than windows when it comes to viruses (and pretty much everything else), but this is mostly because since most computer users run windows, man made viruses are more effective when used on windows. It also helps that OSX is an all around better and more secure OS. Hope this problem doesn't happen again!:apple: