Apple Mail asks for passwords on boot every time.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CBGFilms, May 31, 2010.

1. CBGFilms macrumors regular

I've been running into this problem quite recently, as soon as my Mac boots up and launches Mail.app it asks for passwords for all of my email accounts, 1 hotmail and 2 GoDaddy accounts despite choosing the 'Remember this password in my keychain' tickbox.

[​IMG]

Help?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Open up Keychain Access and choose the Keychain First Aid option from the main menu.

3. CBGFilms thread starter macrumors regular

Said 'No Problems Found'. :(

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Not a big deal.

open up keychain in utilities, the preferences, then reset my default keychain. You may have to enter the password a few more times but thats normal. The computer just needs to learn the password. Good luck. Let us know how if it worked

5. CBGFilms thread starter macrumors regular

I've done that restarted my Mac, and its still asking me for the Mail passwords, I type them in and check remember they still ask for the password, and everytime I restart they continue to ask for passwords :-/

EDIT: If it helps the only password I see in the keychain is my wireless network p/w.

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

what you may have to do for a few days is just type in the password. The keychain utility is used for remembering your passwords so it may take some time for it the "learn" the password. Make sure you check the box that says remember this password in my keychain.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G4

I had a similar problem with the Mail.app vs. Keychain.

This advice is offered if none of the _previously posted_ suggestions work.

Launch Keychain Access, and DELETE all existing passwords related to "POP", "SMTP" and/or "IMAP".

Close Keychain Access.

Of course, with all the old passwords deleted, Mail will prompt you to enter new ones to get/send email. Make sure to check the box to remember the password.

I'm guessing that there is some conflict between Mail.app and the Keychain processes, and that -- sometimes -- Keychain doesn't properly "store" password information.

A lot of folks had problems with accessing email after upgrading to Snow Leopard....

8. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

It can also be an issue with your email provider. My work account allows IMAP over Exchange, but that allowance pings for a password every 24 hours.

9. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

Had a similar issue recently. Using the web interface for my email provider I found my account had been locked. Turned out someone had hacked either my account or my provider but were using my email address for spam.

Changed passwords and have not had that issue again.

My suggestion is to try the web interface to see if you can determine if it is Apple mail or your account that has the problem.

Take care,

10. CBGFilms thread starter macrumors regular

No luck with any of these suggestions sorry, gah I've even reinstalled mail and resetup all accounts still no luck.

The funny thing is, when I select 'GET MAIL' it asks for the passwords, if I type them in without ticking the remember box it checks my mail fine. But if I DO check the remember box there is a triangle ! thing next to all the accounts. gah!?

I don't know what to do anymore. oh and also Adium (Instant messaging) also asks for password on boot too.

11. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Call apple support