Apple Mail Bug on Retina MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Obeya, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Obeya, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2012

Obeya macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

Just got my first MAC (Retina 15 inch 2.4/16GB) and I must say I'm pretty disappointed so far. The thing is brand new and the UI is already sluggish and choppy. Compared it to a friend's old MBP with less than half the specs and his is butter smooth. I did some research and this seems to be an issue with many retina macbooks. There's an issue with the intel 4000 hard drive. (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4214887?start=0&tstart=0)

This morning I wake up and it's way worse than I thought, the Apple Mail has a weird blue graph and when I scroll the graph goes fuzzy but doesn't show the mail. Can anyone tell if this is a hardware or software issue? So far the problem did not persist but I fear it might be back soon. I just hope I don't have a malfunctioned retina MBP.

[​IMG]

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

1. Launch Activity Monitor
    2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
    3. Click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
    4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
    5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
    6. Post your screenshots.

The Intel 4000 isn't a hard drive. The MBPr has no hard drive. It has a SSD. The Intel 4000 is a graphics processor.

Have you tried restarting your Mac?

3. Obeya thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the helpful reply,

I did check the activity monitor and it seems everything should be fine for the most part, but it's not. Screenshots below.

As for the Mail, I restarted the mail and it got fixed. I just don't understand why I'm facing so many issues with a brand new device, the main reasons I moved from Windows to MAC is for stability and it seems I made it worse on myself.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's nothing in the screen shots that indicates any reason for slow performance. With a new computer, Spotlight indexing can consume resources during the initial index of a drive, but that doesn't appear to be happening with yours now. I'd keep an eye on Activity Monitor and when you see things slowing down, take a look and see what's consuming CPU.

If you're having performance issues, this may help:

5. Obeya thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think checking the activity monitor is going to help. This is a big issue with the new batch of the Mac Book Pro Retina's, many seem to be reporting the same issue I'm going through and no one has found a fix. Right now the only solution is to switch off the hd 4000 graphic card and still with working just on Nadia, I think it's battery consuming but it kinda makes things work smoother for the time being.

I just hope the problem can be fixed with a software update.

People facing the same issue: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5