Apple Mail Crashing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigdb11, Apr 1, 2009.

1. bigdb11 macrumors regular

Many times when I try to quit my Mail program it closes out but doesn't actually quit (the little blue light is under the icon on the dock). I try to right click on it and hit quit but quit is lightened and I am unable to quit. This happens quite often. Also, if I ever try to shutdown/restart without closing all my programs, the mail program causes my computer to hang and it won't shut down. Does anyone have this problem or know how to fix it?

Thanks.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Backup up your mail settings (mail boxes) and then delete the com.apple.mail.plist from ~\Library\Preferences and restart.

3. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

Can you explain to me what is going on and why this is the cause?

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

.plist's are simply files that basically save data regarding a specific program. If applications act funny, it's usually a problem with the .plist as it might have become corrupted or is invalid. By removing the .plist and relaunching the application, the OS will recreate a new plist.

This might or might not fix your problem but it's usually a good place to start when troubleshooting application problems.

5. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!

6. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

7. wilkinsk macrumors newbie

I have the same problem, and tried deleting the .plist file but did not back up my mail settings. Not wanting to go through that process again I just used time machine to reverse the action. How do I back my mail settings up before I try it again?

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

There are a few ways you can backup your mailboxes.

1. Backup the "Mail" folder from ~/Library/. The "Mail" folder has all your mailboxes and messages in a .mbox format.

2. The other method would be exporting all your mailboxes from within Mail.app. If you go to the Mailbox menu, there should be an archive mailbox. Just follow the instructions and it will do it for you.

9. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

Tried what was posted on the Apple Support site, as well as the method posted above. Seemed to work for a while, but now I'm having the same problem again. Any other suggestions?