Apple Mail (Gmail IMAP) with 15'000 Emails... takes long time to start up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Glumpfner, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Glumpfner macrumors regular

Hi there,

I have a GMail account with over 15'000 E-Mails and it seems lately (actually since I switched to my new MacBook Pro 13) it takes sometimes several minutes until new emails are being downloaded. Especially when I start up the laptop for the first time in the day it just shows that "working" circle next to the Mailbox and it's working and working but no new emails are being fetched. I still have full access to all the old emails though.

And then after about 3-5 minutes the new emails show up. Another weird thing is that sometimes after just receiving the mails, all the new mail shows up twice! And then after a minute the duplicates disappear.

So I am not sure if that has anything to do with the fact that I have over 15'000 emails.

2. wtzouris macrumors newbie

Some obvious things:

I would select all the mailboxes (Command Click them one at a time) and select Mailbox Menu>>"REBUILD"

Also maybe consider moving some of your emails into another mailbox, maybe IN 2009, IN 2010 for instance.

Put all your Junk mail in the trash, and go to Mailbox Menu >>"Erase Deleted Items>> In All Mailboxes"

Hope that helps,

William Tzouris