Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blueprint1983

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
Missouri
I've synced my Gmail account with my Apple mail account but I'm seeing two inboxes.

One called Gmail Inbox and the other called a Inbox.

The weird part is that if I get one e-mail message, it shows that I have two- one e-mail that is duplicated that goes to both inboxes.

Is there a way to avoid this duplication behavior?

kevo0822

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
New England
Can you post a screen shot of what you're seeing?

I'm assuming it's something like this... Where Gmail has it's own inbox at the top, but also an additional "folder" or something down below. The reason I find this so annoying is that the "folder" regularly displays an unread message count whenever I receive a message on my Gmail account... but it doesn't update that message count if I read the message in my regular inbox. I have to navigate through the "folder" into my Gmail- All Messages folder to get it to update with the server and realize that I've read the message. It's really annoying.

Hopefully that made sense...

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    21 KB · Views: 56

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you had read the information in the link I posted, you would see the instructions:
Picture 1.jpg
You don't have duplicate inboxes. The Inbox at the top is your Mail Inbox, which can collect mail from multiple mail accounts (Tufts, Gmail) into one Inbox. You can click on each subfolder (Tufts, Gmail) to see the mail in only that account's Inbox. The folders below show the folders for each account. It's not duplicating the messages. If you delete a message from your Gmail Inbox, it disappears from the Mail Inbox, the Gmail subfolder display, and the Gmail "All Mail" below.

As for the message count issue, the message count will update properly, but it may take a few syncs with the Gmail server before it does. If you're patient or only look at the main Inbox at the top, the message count won't be a problem.

Set up properly, the boxes will look like this:

Attachments

• Picture 8.jpg
    Picture 8.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 53

kevo0822

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
New England
did you create a folder called GMail at any time?

Nope. It just automatically created them when I added my GMail account.

So from what I understand, the folders at the bottom are part of Mail's functionality... meaning that I can't remove them. That's okay, I guess. I'll just ignore the message count that shows up next to it (it does go away eventually... unless I go through the folders and read the "unread" messages myself, it usually takes an hour or two to realize that the messages have already been read).

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Did you follow the instructions I posted for the Sent, Drafts, Trash and Junk folders? If you do, the messages in the Gmail folders will be included in the Mail folders at the top.

JaymeNYC

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
dont mean to bump an old thread, but My mailboxes currently look like this

attachment.php

is there anything to get rid of Gmail A/G/M/G so everything is just showing above where Inboxes/Sent/Trash/Junk is?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.