Apple Mail help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eldivino, Jun 23, 2009.

1. eldivino macrumors member

Im having a lot of issues with apple mail. It takes forever to send emails. Is this normal? I have my gmail accounts as well as my cablevision accounts. They both take for ever to send messages. Am i supposed to set up the settings a certain way.

I've searched the forums with no luck for a solution or answer.

2. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

In Mail go to Preferences and choose the Accounts tab... then look below and choose Outgoing Mail Server; click on the down arrow and choose to Edit SMTP servers... Choose the Advanced tab and click on Use custom port and use 587. Save and close... see if that helps... Good luck.

3. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

Is this for sending or receiving messages? I know Google expects it in such a way, but if you auto-setup your Gmail, it would do everything for you.

What does your Firewall say?

4. eldivino thread starter macrumors member

I did what you suggested but i got the following message

"The server error encountered was: The connection to host pop.gmail.com on port 587 failed."

5. eldivino thread starter macrumors member

I receive emails pretty fast. Its just the out goings messages. Should I have my firewall set up anyway specifically?

6. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Do this only for gMail first to see if it works for you as it has worked for me. I use it on gMail and Yahoo. I do not touch the mobileme mail at all; as it set it self up just fine. If that mail is not sending well then change it also.