Apple Mail highlight color

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by robgendreau, Oct 28, 2011.

1. robgendreau macrumors 68030

How does one change the highlight colors in Mail? I see settings for quoted text, but that's it. My system is set to use a bright yellow (Lemon, actually), but the highlight in Mail (used when selecting a message, not highlighting text) is a muddy mess. It seems to be related to the color I choose in Sys Prefs>General, because when I change that the Mail highlight color changes, but to a weird (and useless) variant of the system highlight. Again, text highlighting is OK.

The other thing that stinks is that unlike with text highlighting, the text in a message you highlight reverses, becoming white, which is harder IMHO to read than black. Essentially they seem to have designed message highlighting to use a darker variant of your system highlight, but reverse text to white to compensate. And I'd like to change that.

TIA,
    Rob

2. ArchiMark macrumors 6502

Did you try Mail > Preferences > Viewing Icon. Then under 'View Conversations' there's a checkbox and next to it, it says "Highlight messages when not grouped" and there is a color selection rectangle to the right of the text. Click on color rectangle and a color picker window pops up...select color you want....

3. robgendreau thread starter macrumors 68030

I'm aware of that option. I don't particularly want to separately color ungrouped messages, but in any case it doesn't solve my problem.

The problem lies in the Fonts & Colors tab. Thanks.

4. ArchiMark macrumors 6502

You're welcome....that was only place I could find option to choose color...was hoping that it would take care of your issue...oh well....

I'd suggest providing feedback to Apple requesting this option...there is place on Apple website to do this....couldn't hurt.... :)