Apple Mail : IMAP question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Hanhart, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Hanhart macrumors newbie

Hello there folks,

I am an IMAP newbie. I have been using POP for many years, but I'm curious to the advantages IMAP has to offer. I have a question though.

I made an IMAP account in the Mail App and followed all the instructions my host (one.com) gave me. My host has 3 folders in their online webmail.Drafts, Sent and Trash. So, automatically, I saw these folders in my Mail app.

I selected these 3 folders individually and via the 'Mailbox' menu I choose 'Use for drafts' for the Draft folder, 'Use for trash' for the trash folder and 'use for sent', for the sent folder.

Now, this created 2 draft folders, one that is connected with my host via IMAP, and also one called "On my Mac". This also happend for the trash folder. This did not happen for the sent folder.

Now, I want to know, why is there an "on my mac" folder for the drafts and the trash? Since I am using IMAP, I'll be wanting to use the folders connected to the server. Can I delete the 'on my mac' folders?

Thanks in advance!

At the moment I am Using Mail 4.4 and Mac Os 10.6.6

Sorry for the bad English.

2. aliebel macrumors member

Under accounts in the preferences menu, click the IMAP account and select the mailbox behaviors tab. Ensure that the boxes for each of them are checked that say store those types of messages on the server.

When you check those boxes and save it should make the on the mac folders disappear, if not they are still safe to delete. They could be is-landed from setting it up initially, but check to ensure they don't have anything inside before doing so.

3. Hanhart thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!

First option didn't seem to work 100%. I deleted them and now it's working perfectly.