Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.adam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
Hi Guys,

First of all, a little background on may setup my help.

I have an email account with GMX.com which, in turn, is synchronised via IMAP with my iPhone and Apple Mail on my MacBook.

I have two questions, one concerning Apple Mail and the other the iPhone.

1. When I delete a message on my Mac, a folder called 'Deleted Messages' is created on the server side (I can see it on my iPhone and on the web-based email service at GMX) and all messages deleted on my Mac are stored here rather than in the 'Trash'. Is there a way to map my 'Trash' on my Mac with the 'Trash' on the server?

2. Whenever I delete or move/file a message on my iPhone, it is copied to the relevant folder and a copy is kept in my Inbox (this copy is only visible on the web-based email, not on my desktop or iPhone client.). Any suggestions on how to correct this behaviour so a moved email is not copied but actually moved on both my iPhone and the web-based service?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Adam

jc1350

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
1. In Mac mail, click the "deleted messages" folder, then in the main menu select:

mailbox -> use this mailbox for --> trash.

That should "sync" your Mac Mail's Trash with what the server uses.

2. With most imap systems, when you delete a message, the server simply flags it for deletion. Some mail clients show this with a line through the header in the inbox, other mail clients simply hide it, and yet others may show it by displaying it in the trash (it may not really be in the trash, it's just shown that way via the software). The message isn't actually deleted until you purge it (empty trash, etc). Some email systems let you configure the deletion behavior via options/preferences/whatever in the web gui to either flag it or really delete it right away. Not sure if this applies to your question - "moving" the message might be done in the backgroud by copying, then deleting from the inbox - which might display messages as flagged for deletion in the web gui, but I'm just guess at this.

.adam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
1. In Mac mail, click the "deleted messages" folder, then in the main menu select:

mailbox -> use this mailbox for --> trash.

That should "sync" your Mac Mail's Trash with what the server uses.

2. With most imap systems, when you delete a message, the server simply flags it for deletion. Some mail clients show this with a line through the header in the inbox, other mail clients simply hide it, and yet others may show it by displaying it in the trash (it may not really be in the trash, it's just shown that way via the software). The message isn't actually deleted until you purge it (empty trash, etc). Some email systems let you configure the deletion behavior via options/preferences/whatever in the web gui to either flag it or really delete it right away. Not sure if this apply to your question - it might as "moving" the message might be done in the backgroud by copying, then deleting from the inbox - which might display messages flagged for deletion.

Cheers, Mate.

Will give this a go tonight and let you know how it goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.