Apple Mail import from Entourage - items blank?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ciarabelle, Feb 12, 2009.

1. ciarabelle macrumors newbie

I am moving from my exchange server... and use entourage 2008... since i dont have exchange any more theres no need to use the buggy entourage... so in entourage i copied all my folders (mail) from exchange to local.

then i set up apple mail - added all my imap accounts (which are in addition to to my old exchange account).

If apple mail supported exchange i would simply connect to it and move my folders local - but alas its not supported yet - and i cant wait for the update.

so i imported from the import menu (using the entourage option).

It all looked good (i have a lot of mail - so it took several hours).... I clicked on a random message on of the imported folders... its blank... subject, from etc are there in the columns - but the message is blank -- tried another - blank...:(

any ideas?

thanks

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

First off, Mail explicitly support Exchange if your Exchange server is setup to allow it. Every Exchange server is setup differently. Whether or not your Exchange server can be accessed via Mail is determined by your IT staff.

Could you please repeat the rest of your post more clearly?

3. ciarabelle thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks -- i was told it didnt ... but i see the option there :) ... so now i just have to get exchange back up and running for a short time and then i can get that mail..

does ical and address book also support exchange? (so i can export that stuff too..)

4. ciarabelle thread starter macrumors newbie

Not sure what you mean but
    if its set up correct (exchange) - we dont have "IT staff" its our personal exchange server -- i added my account but it refuses to connect to it (works fine from entourage)

regarding explaining in more detail the blank emails - i went to get a screenshot -- but now that i have rebooted (i have done that before) and when i went to get the screen shot the problem is gone.... very very odd

But as i go thru the folders i sometimes get a folder that shows '150' new but empty -- seems to me its trying to parse a file or some such and should have done so on its own the past few days..

any help on the exchange settings for using apple mail would be appreciated.

thanks

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You misunderstood my point. There is nothing magic about IT staff. In the context of this thread, they are the people who setup your Exchange server. If your secretary and you setup your Exchange server, then your secretary and you are your IT staff. Exchange has a lot of options. Among its options is compatibility with non-Microsoft email clients. If this capability is enabled, great. Just because it can be done doesn't mean that it has been done. From your previous posts, I gather that it has not been done.

This is not an issue of right or wrong. If your Exchange setup is incompatible with Mail, then it is incompatible with Mail. Entourage is a Microsoft product. The Redmond Monopoly's Macintosh Business Unit is putting a lot of effort into making Entourage tolerant of the infinite variety in infinite combinations of Exchange setups. When you consider the fact that the first two versions of Entourage were not compatible with Exchange [except via IMAP], this is progress.

6. ciarabelle thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm - well aware of what IT staff meant -- all i meant was that 'staff' was me and my spouse...

so - i figured out w/ google -- that i needed to turn on IMAP in my exchange server to use it w/ apple mail... emails are slowly coming in -- seems like i have to CLICK on each folder (there are several hundred probably) in order to get apple mail to synch (i already did the synch option in the right click menu)
    course exchange is not supported in ical or address book...

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It is if your IT staff set it up to do so.

8. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

Is this true? I think you need to enable IMAP support in Exchange to get Mail to work. True Exchange support is scheduled for Snow Leopard.

9. ciarabelle thread starter macrumors newbie

we enabled imap on exchange.... we have the mail folders - their extremely slow and i have to click on EACH folder to have it 'download' the messages... lots of timing out (tested in entourage - no issue /w connection).... as for calendar and address book - i do not yet have that... there is a folder called calendar - but its just a list - not really in calendar format... ditto for the address book... i had synced that via entourage prior to the test so not a big deal...
    no idea where to enable imap calendar and address book on exchange.