Apple Mail in 10.6.8 hangs when checking all Godaddy mailboxes

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Airplanista, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Airplanista macrumors newbie

I am in a battle royale with both my POP email host (Godaddy) and my ISP (Clear). What is happening is that on two Macs, a 2.16 GHz Macbook Pro and an iMac, intermittently throughout the work day, ALL of our Godaddy-hosted email hangs...spinning wheel to the right of the mail box despite all settings set right (I am aweb developer so I can assure you the settings are right because they work perfectly in webmail). Here are some facts about this month-old issue:

1. I do have wildly fluctuating connectivity through Clear wireless broadband. The download speeds are between 1.0 and 3.0 MBPS but upload is pathetic at between .10 and .5 MBPS.

2. When I check my 11 POP boxes, the nine at Godaddy spin out maybe 10 times a day, while the two at Gmail cehck without a glitch.

3. My partner has a work PC running Windows Live mail, and when her Mac is spinning out checking about 3 Godaddy-hosted POP boxes through Clear, the Windows Live mail checks quickly using the exact same settings.

4. Thru troubleshooting, I have ruled out the modem and router (since the PC is checking mail fine through same network and internet connection as Macs).

5. When the spinning out occurs, in Connection Doctor, accounts also spin out before indicating red dots.

6. When spinning out (hangs) checking these Godaddy boxes, using Network Unility, my pings are consistently in the 100-125 range, with an occasional spike to 400 or 500.

7. One thing yesterday that was interesting. In mail/prefs/accounts/advanced. I tried to uncheck the "automatically check for mail..blah blah" but even thogh I unchecked and saved the prefs, those boxes continued to get checked with I selected to "Check for new mail" in the top menu bar.

Both Macs having this issue are on 10.6.8.

I also tried a small freebie POP checker, and when Macs were spinning out, POPMonitor checked the same boxes through the same network without a glitch. So am convinced it is Godaddy and not Clear...and since the PC works, it HAS to be Apple Mail.app.

2. Airplanista thread starter macrumors newbie

possible fix?

Further to this issue, I deleted the smtpout.secureserver.net of Godaddy, and switched all the mailboxes over to use smtp.gmail.com as the outgoing mail server. Did this on the two Macs that were hanging and it seems to have fixed the issue...for now...to early to confirm a fix yet.

3. Airplanista thread starter macrumors newbie

Issue not fixed

This connectivity issue between my Apple Mail through CLEAR as ISP to Godaddy's pop.secureserver.net is just getting weirder. Now my 9 boxes spin out (upload is only testing at .07 mbps) but partner's 4 emails on iMac using same settings through same network is fine...was glitched a while ago too though.

Still zero reply or help from either Godaddy or Clear, no resolution from either, still pitching blame at each other. Also, disappointed no other users of this forum have replied to this issue, I read MacRumors all the time and thought I'd get some participation on this. Guess you guys ignore forum noobs?

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Godaddy supports IMAP. You really should switch to IMAP. On the godaddy support pages it only mentions POP, but if you dig you find out they support IMAP. Use imap.secureserver.net for incoming mail and I'm not sure what the smtp setup should be but it sounds like you have this figured out using gmail's smtp which is fine.

And no we don't ignore forum noobs. Godaddy is not exactly the email provider of choice when there are so many free options out there right now.

BTW, mail.app is underwhelming in many major ways. When I restored from a TM backup, I found I had to delete ~/library/application support/mail with over 10 gig of downloaded email and start over because mail.app would crash and wouldn't even launch for me to figure out what was wrong with it. After deleting all of that, I was able to start over from nothing. I put in my mail servers and it re-downloaded all my mail in a matter of hours. If you leave your mail on the server, perhaps that is the best thing for you to do.

If you don't leave your mail on the server please bear in mind that Mail.app is not a good idea for the only place to keep your data. I suggest you download mozilla thunderbird and use it as a backup so if mail.app ever bites the dust, you have another app with another copy of all your mail. Since you are using POP, you MUST make sure that each and every email client you set up is first and foremost told to "leave mail on server" before you take the accounts online. Otherwise you will find that all your mail was gobbled up by the second to the last email program you installed. The solution to this nonsense is to NEVER use POP. Always use IMAP. If your provider doesn't support IMAP, find a new provider.