Apple Mail-in Service?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wct097, Dec 6, 2014.

1. wct097 macrumors 6502

Does Apple offer a mail in repair service? I thought they did, but can't find anything on their site. This is my second MBP in 4 years to have problems, and unfortunately this one is 2.5 years old and unlike the first one to go bad, it's past the extended warranty period offered by my credit card.

So without Apple Care, Amex extended warranty, or the original warranty, I've come to terms with the fact that I'm going to have to pay to fix or replace my Mid 2012 rMBP. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like I can get an Apple Genius bar appointment tomorrow, and it's not likely I can get to one during the week as the closest is a 2 hour drive from me.

My problem presents as a GPU Panic/shutdown when I launch a game. It also likes to lockup/black screen/shutdown when I run the Apple Diagnostic tools test (holding D when starting up). Now it seems like the fans are stuck on high for no reason.

After a lot of searching regarding my problem, it seems pretty likely that my logic board needs to be replaced. Based on anecdotal evidence from Apple Support forums, it sounds like most people have this done for about $310 by taking it to a Genius Bar and having them "ship it to Texas". Is there any way I can circumvent having to drive 4 hours (twice, once to drop off, once to pick up) round trip to a Genius Bar during the week by shipping it directly to an Apple repair center for diagnosis, repair estimate, and repair?

Would a local "authorized repair center" be able to do it for me without having to visit an Apple store location?

Is the cost estimate for a logic board replacement of $310 reasonable or am I likely to find it to be much, much higher? At that price, I could deal with it, much more and I'm probably going to stop throwing good money after poor quality, but premium priced Apple products. I don't see myself spending $3k on another machine after the previous two died of hardware problems between 1.5 and 2.5 years of age.

2. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

I can't speak for the accuracy of the price as my only logic board failure (back in 2009) was still under warranty so I never saw the cost. However, I had mine done at a local authorized repair center and they took care of it just fine. If you have one of those nearby I'd try that before shipping it anywhere.

3. wct097 thread starter macrumors 6502

Planning to visit them on Monday, but want to know what my options are. I have a feeling that local "Apple authorized service centers" are going to be substantially more expensive than an Apple repair depot that the Genius Bar ships computers to.

4. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

That may be true, guess the only way to find out is to ask. You should be able to get a free quote on the repair from the service center. You can call Apple Support and ask about shipping it directly, though I'm not sure if they could get you a quote prior to seeing it though.