Apple Mail is not so perfect

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Badrottie, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

When I go to the public library to do some research and I use Apple Mail to send out emails but I noticed not ALL emails sent out…They just sit at draft folder under AOL account. Why can't they just send as soon I click send button??

I am using Lion 10.7.2 I am not sure Apple Mail does not like public library wifi?

2. aristobrat macrumors G5

FWIW, the are some additional variables in this equation.

The configuration of the library's public network could block all SMTP (email sent from applications), or just block the sending of email if you haven't setup your mail client to authenticate.

On the email providers end, they could block the IP address of the library's public network, if that network had been used in the past to send a lot of spam through.

Where I live, Cox Cable is our internet provider, and a ton of people use the free @cox.com accounts that come with the service. Cox won't let you send email from any mail application, when you're not connected to their network, unless you do some funky manual setup of your email client. So your notebook on your home Cox connection would send email fine, but the minute you use a free public network, you'd be unable to send. Again, this is a limitation imposed by them, not the email client you're using.

Do any of your email accounts in Mail.app work OK when you're at the public library?

3. Badrottie thread starter Suspended

Badrottie

You could be right..I guess I will have to use it at home then…and yeah I have seen some problem with my other AOL accounts too.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

5. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

I've had issues with Mail.app for a while when using it with my web host's email account. Sometimes emails with attachments over 50k won't send, other times email folders won't sync back with the server when using IMAP. It seems to work fine with the iOS Mail app though.

How does Sparrow compare? Does it allow you to use POP3/IMAP accounts? (haven't done much research other than seeing it when it first came out on the app store)