Apple Mail: ISP max recipients workaround?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Arisian, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

Hey guys,

Quick question for you all. I do a monthly news letter for my site as well as for technical services. I have about 500 people that I email, all at once, with an HTML/form email that I have built and imported into Apple Mail.

As you all know, many ISP's limit the number of recipients for an email (Mine is 100). I've started in on an apple script that would do this, but I would really rather just email the entire list RATHER than having to make 5, 100 people mailing lists.

For the love of Pistol Pete, does anyone know how to do mass emails in Apple Mail that doesn't involve me using some third-party piece of software (apple mail plugin would be AWESOME) that eff's my HTML emails to pieces.

Any advice on this would be extremely helpful!!!
    Thanks so much!

Arisian

2. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

With a recipient list this large, you may want to consider using something like Constant Contact. It's a very convenient way to create html mailings and direct it to a specific mailing list. You can manage various lists and keep track of who opts in/out. I'm not affiliated with CC but I've used it in the past with very good results. And, of course, this will avoid any ISP mass mailing issue.

3. Arisian thread starter macrumors 68000

Arisian

using google apps and setting it up to your domain name (ie change MX records) allows me to do the same thing. Just going to do that.

I wish this issue would be addressed though.

4. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

This is less of a "issue" and more something that is beyond the the scope of the application for the intended use. It is along the lines of complaining that TextEdit does not have templates, page breaks, and font spacing.

These are features that would be expected in a full word processor but since TextEdit is more along the lines of a simple note taker and that is its intended use these features are not required for it to be fit for purpose.

Sending a HTML email to 500 people is not something that a personal e-mail client is designed for, Mail.app was designed to for fill the needs of home users and small businesses sending and receiving small amounts of e-mails with perhaps at most sending a meeting schedule or party invitation or something of the like to a few dozen people.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

On a related note, I hope to God that you're sending these messages with the recipients in the BCC field. These mailing lists are a perfect opportunity for spammers to harvest email addresses. If you're not, put your own email in the "to" field and all of your recipients in "BCC".