Apple Mail Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mac-key, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

Alright, so yesterday I tried to send a message with an audio file attached. It told me the file was too big to send - 41mb. It asked me what I wanted to do, I accidently clicked try again. Hours later I get the same message, saying it has tried, but now cannot send it. So I cancelled it and deleted the original message.

Ever since that time I have not been able to receive messages, and it takes about 20 minutes to send a message. Now I've got that same old message I tried to sending filter into a folder called "recovered messages" from my (gmail.) (I have my gmail synced to my apple mail)

I've tried all the mail syncing, taking the account offline and back online. I have restarted my computer and relaunched Apple Mail.

Did I somehow clog my system with that stupid large email? Is it still trying to re-send? If so, how do I cancel it and delete it for good? Why would it KEEP showing up in my "recovered message (gmail)" folder. I just get the same copy of the original message over and over - probably like 70 of them have filtered in.

2. HardyH, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012

HardyH macrumors newbie

Same thing happened to me!

Mail IMAP inbox not receiving mail ever since a failed attempt to send a large audio file. As Mac-key describes, there is a "recovered messages (Gmail)" folder with the culprit. But I cannot find this folder on my Gmail webmail page to delete it.
    The following forum was very helpful:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2153401?start=60&tstart=0
    I couldn't find the elusive "OfflineCache" folder to delete; is Mail 5.2 file structure fundamentally different? But I got results by disabling many of the gmail sync features. I previously had unchecked all the "store" selections in the "Mailbox Behaviours" tab, but that didn't solve the problem. The forum mentioned to select from the "Advanced" tab "Don't keep copies of any messages" in the pulldown menu. Now my mail is flowing in! :) However, the "recovered messages (Gmail)" folder still exists with that single file.
    Thanks!
    --
    Mac OS X 10.7.4
    Mail 5.2
    Mailtags 3.1.2

3. wtourist macrumors newbie

mail 4.5 connection problem

I have a strange connection problem:
    imac is on the wlan at home and has very often through the day problems to connect and fetch mails, sending is no problem. but when I get the internet via the iphone that is connected to the same wlan it works. all other internet connection are not affected only mail has this problem.

W.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Maybe you can try to see if your Mail program is having a problem. First open Mail and then go to Mail's menu item Window' and in that drop-down select Connection doctor. This will tell you if it is not communicating with your email servers. IMHO you can use this tool's 'print out' to really see why the email server and Mail are not communicating.

Plus in iCloud bookmark the Apple web site iCloud System Status.

5. wtourist macrumors newbie

I checked now the Connection doctor window and to me it looks like mail is using the smtp server for fetching mails instead of the pop server. I deleted the account and tried to set it up new but now mail does not even want to do that, saying after the 1st window (when you type name and address and pass) that it can not connect to the server. it is for sure a problem with the app as I can use other clients without any problem. I would like to fix it as mail is my favorite client.

W.