apple mail, keeping contacts, separate for each email account.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by poluxeros, Jan 16, 2014.

1. poluxeros macrumors newbie

as the title say
    the autofill function that uses previous senders/contacts/recipients is great but i would like to be able to prevent sending from the wrong account ie the auto fill to work on each accounts previeus contacts/recipients etc

in order to say keep work/spam/social email account separate

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

As long as you are logged in to the one (same) OS X account, the Mail app will use the entire address book you have in Contacts. There is no way to separate it like you want.

3. poluxeros thread starter macrumors newbie

i am not logged in from the system preferences and i dont use apple contacts either i just use a couple of gmail accounts and one other through apple mail

if that makes a difference....thankyou though

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Ah... okay so it is not getting them from Contacts. What it does is store all those email addresses in previous recipients under the Window menu. You can delete them all from there, but they will come back as you reuse them. I don't know how to accomplish what you are after.

5. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

I separate my personal & business by using different email clients. Since you have two Gmail accounts, you might like MailTab Pro for Gmail $1.99 or AirMail $1.99. Both in the Mac App Store

MailTab Pro for Gmail, puts an icon in the Menu bar. Select and it shows a window just like your browser. Icon shows red with number when I have new email. If you hate the Gmail in a browser window you won't like this. It's quick and easy to use for accounts that don't get tons of email.

AirMail is getting a lot of rave reviews on Apple Discussions by Exchange users that are having issues with Mail. Personally, I have not tired it. You can also download a free beta version on the web site.