Apple Mail makes no sounds

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ajbrehm, Dec 14, 2009.

1. ajbrehm macrumors 6502

I have configured Mail.app to make a sound (a short MP3 file) when new mail arrives. This used to work a few years ago.

For the past few years it hasn't worked. User interface sounds are switched on and everything is activated in System Preferences and Mail preferences.

When I check the settings for the MP3 file in Mail preferences, it even plays the file there. But when a new mail arrives it does not.

Simiarly, and I don't know if this problem is related or not, Skype has stopped making user interface sounds. Again, this is the same Mac, which is configured for user interface sounds in System Preferences, and Skype is configured to make a ringing sound when I call someone and some weird sound when I receive an instant message in a chat window.

Any ideas?

2. lewis.jackson macrumors member

I get the same thing but sometimes it works and some times it don't.
    My iphone makes a noise every time i get a new mail but the macbook pro don't. I thought is was my fault for being a dumb ass.

3. ajbrehm thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I thought. (Not that you are a dumb ass. I don't know you. :))

Apparently the problem is more wide-spread than just my computers.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

It has been a running bug for awhile now, sometimes the mail sound plays, other times it does not. I don't think anyone has ever found a fix for it either. It does seem to make the sound more in Snow Leopard IMO.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

A temp workaround is to have Mail run a Applescript when a new mail comes in and have that script play the sound. This works every time.

I use the below script to say the words "new mail." You can make a script to call a sound file also.

Code:
    say "new mail"

6. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Ahh, very clever. How do I make use a woman's voice (there's a very natural sounding one in the Preferences.)

7. Salmar macrumors regular

When I first got my iMac almost two years ago I downloaded a wav file from the internet with a sexy woman's voice saying "Master I have mail for you". I put it into my iMac sounds folder and then affixed it to the mail program and it's still working to this day. Never had a problem with the mail sound.:apple:

8. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

Report the bug here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

If enough people report it, maybe Apple will finally fix it.

Like everything in life, nothing is perfect. Apple concentrates on bugs that affect most people or bugs that cause significant problems. Lack of a mail sound isn't a significant problem, but if it annoys too many people, they will finally fix it.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Code:
    say "new mail?" using "Vicki"
    This will use the Vicki voice from sounds prefs. Or substitute whichever voice you like.