Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Talbot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Is anyone still having the Mail app crash like it was in the beta?

It will crash saying it was using about 60-80gb of memory. I haven't really figured out what it is that specifically triggers it though.

Anyone have more information?

Thanks,

Talbot

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
No info unfortunately and I cannot replicate this, but there was another thread about the same thing yesterday with no replies as well.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Is anyone still having the Mail app crash like it was in the beta?

It will crash saying it was using about 60-80gb of memory. I haven't really figured out what it is that specifically triggers it though.

Anyone have more information?

Thanks,

Talbot

This has been an issue I've been living with for the past few weeks. I've submitted several bug reports and Apple has been working on a fix. It's not a widespread problem, but there is likely something wrong with iCloud or gmail settings causing the leak.

I'm hopeful they solve the problem, because I don't like using unibox as much as Mail, but I can't live with Mail behaving this way.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
This has been an issue I've been living with for the past few weeks. I've submitted several bug reports and Apple has been working on a fix. It's not a widespread problem, but there is likely something wrong with iCloud or gmail settings causing the leak.

I'm hopeful they solve the problem, because I don't like using unibox as much as Mail, but I can't live with Mail behaving this way.

Have you tried disabling your different accounts like iCloud and leave just gmail to see if it happens?

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Have you tried disabling your different accounts like iCloud and leave just gmail to see if it happens?

I actually thought I solved the issue yesterday, deleting gmail, then re-adding it again. Mail was rock solid yesterday, but this morning as I was writing a short email (using my non-gmail company email), the memory leak hit and I ended up having to force quit.

I'll try just deleting gmail to see if that works, then try iCloud to see if that has any effect. I've just been a bit busy lately and given I use all 4 of my email accounts, I've hesitated on going through the process of one by one elimination to see if one in particular is the cause of the leak.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I actually thought I solved the issue yesterday, deleting gmail, then re-adding it again. Mail was rock solid yesterday, but this morning as I was writing a short email (using my non-gmail company email), the memory leak hit and I ended up having to force quit.

I'll try just deleting gmail to see if that works, then try iCloud to see if that has any effect. I've just been a bit busy lately and given I use all 4 of my email accounts, I've hesitated on going through the process of one by one elimination to see if one in particular is the cause of the leak.

It will be interesting to see if that makes a difference, when you have a free moment :)

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
It will be interesting to see if that makes a difference, when you have a free moment :)

I deleted (not just disabled) gmail and the problem continues. I've disabled iCloud as a next step and I'll report back the outcome, then I'll delete iCloud and see what happens.

Update - with iCloud disabled, Mail still has the leak. If it's driven by my company IMAP accounts (2 of them), then Apple needs to find the solution, because I can't turn those off. Right now, Mail is running, updating cache directory and syncing drafts (which I only have 3), and the ram is steadily growing, at 32gb's right now. Memory pressure is showing a ramp as Mail takes more and more ram from the system. It's also running at 99% of CPU.

Last edited:

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
I started the other thread, since it didn't have any replies, figured I would add the information to this thread in hopes that someone can help.

A little background:
I have the latest 15" rMBP - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 w/ 16 GB ram and 1TB SSD. I've never run into this issue before installing Yosemite. However, I have been having the issue since I first installed the Beta.

When the final public release came out, I did a complete clean install (hoping to fix the issue) and I'm still having it.

Basically after ~20-30 min I receive the "Your system has run out of memory" error. When checking the Activity Monitor, my memory pressure is in the red and the Mail app shows it's using ~60GB (yes GB) of memory.

I've attached two screen grabs from two separate days/occasions. On one of them you can see I only have a few apps open.

I've posted this issue both here and in Apple's support forum. It's very frustrating to have to restart my rMBP every 30 minutes or so. Hopefully someone can help.

Cheers, Rick

Attachments

• Activity_Monitor__My_Processes__and_Domains.png
    Activity_Monitor__My_Processes__and_Domains.png
    153.1 KB · Views: 131
  • Force_Quit_Applications_and_Activity_Monitor__My_Processes_2.png
    Force_Quit_Applications_and_Activity_Monitor__My_Processes_2.png
    428.3 KB · Views: 137

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
I started the other thread, since it didn't have any replies, figured I would add the information to this thread in hopes that someone can help.

A little background:
I have the latest 15" rMBP - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 w/ 16 GB ram and 1TB SSD. I've never run into this issue before installing Yosemite. However, I have been having the issue since I first installed the Beta.

When the final public release came out, I did a complete clean install (hoping to fix the issue) and I'm still having it.

Basically after ~20-30 min I receive the "Your system has run out of memory" error. When checking the Activity Monitor, my memory pressure is in the red and the Mail app shows it's using ~60GB (yes GB) of memory.

I've attached two screen grabs from two separate days/occasions. On one of them you can see I only have a few apps open.

I've posted this issue both here and in Apple's support forum. It's very frustrating to have to restart my rMBP every 30 minutes or so. Hopefully someone can help.

Cheers, Rick

Hey Rick,

I must have missed your other thread - because I've been trying to chime in on any others that I've noticed where people are seeing the same memory leak that I have been. Since earlier today, I have had Mail running without issue, although I did make some minor tweaks to my mail preferences and have gmail off entirely. Try turning off mail accounts one at a time and see if it stays stabile. If not, delete the account and see if that changes anything.

Right now I have 2 IMAP accounts for work and iCloud running. I noticed syncing issues with drafts and have unchecked syncing drafts with server, which may have solved some of the issue. I'll play around more tonight to see if I can nail down where the issue is.

Also, when you're running Mail, you might want to have Activity Monitor running side by side and when you see the leak start and you're in the 20+ gb's of ram being used, you can force quit Mail through Activity Monitor, which will keep the other Apple apps from crashing (usually).

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
Hey Rick,

I must have missed your other thread - because I've been trying to chime in on any others that I've noticed where people are seeing the same memory leak that I have been. Since earlier today, I have had Mail running without issue, although I did make some minor tweaks to my mail preferences and have gmail off entirely. Try turning off mail accounts one at a time and see if it stays stabile. If not, delete the account and see if that changes anything.

Right now I have 2 IMAP accounts for work and iCloud running. I noticed syncing issues with drafts and have unchecked syncing drafts with server, which may have solved some of the issue. I'll play around more tonight to see if I can nail down where the issue is.

Also, when you're running Mail, you might want to have Activity Monitor running side by side and when you see the leak start and you're in the 20+ gb's of ram being used, you can force quit Mail through Activity Monitor, which will keep the other Apple apps from crashing (usually).

Great thank you - I will give this a shot and report back. Thanks again for the suggestion.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Seeing lots of iCloud issues with syncing. Getting instant notifications on iOS but mail app on Yosemite sucks. Even when deleting emails from iOS it does not update on the Mac.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none

A little background:

Cheers, Rick

Do you have an exchange account in Mail? Here is a related thread, but the user only mentions high CPU and nothing specifically about high memory use.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1802952/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.