Apple Mail - "Not Junk"

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jusacruiser, Feb 22, 2014.

1. jusacruiser macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

What happened to the "Not Junk" feature in Apple Mail?

I have been looking high and low for the feature that says that a particular piece of mail is not really junk.

Please advise.

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

You will only see that feature if an email has been tagged "Junk". It then gives you the features you are probably looking for.

Attached Files:

3. Big Stevie macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

Whats the quickest way of emptying the junk folder, or can't it be done?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can set it to delete automatically in a day/week/month in Mail prefs under Accounts - Mailbox Behaviors.

[​IMG]

Or you could just go to the Junk folder and hit command-a to select all the hit the delete key.

5. Big Stevie macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

Brilliant, many thanks:)

6. jusacruiser thread starter macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

What I think I am really looking for is to declare a piece of mail to be "junk." It came to me the normal way into my inbox.....but it is basically spam or junk.....I want to give it a thumbs down or junk rating. :mad:

----------

Hey, what's up Weasel Boy!! Good to see you!!

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There should by default be a thumbs down in the Mail toolbar. Maybe you dragged it out at some point. Just right click in the Mail toolbar and you will see a selection box come up where you can drag the junk button back into the toolbar.

Haven't seen you around in a bit. :)

[​IMG]

8. jusacruiser thread starter macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

Ok, I will try that. Thanks.

9. porthole2 macrumors member

Junk mail question.

Looking in my "junk" box, I have the typical emails with the junk icon and colored gold, that are indeed junk.

I also have email in my junk folder that is not junk and colored black. Some of these are forum notifications that I have a rule sending it to a smart folder.
    But, even though I have rules set to run before junk they still end up in junk, and some of them in the correct smart folder.

Ideas?

Does constantly clicking on the thumbs down for junk somewhere start bloating a file or rule that may eventually become too big to run efficiently?

10. Randomizer macrumors member

Randomizer

Doesn't appear an answer was ever provided ... and I have the same question. My junk folder is filled with some junk and some not. Thumbs down is the only select in the toolbar, even for those that are not junk. So I have no obvious way of marking some items as not junk.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I actually has this happen with an email this morning. I noticed if I logged in to icloud.com and looked at the same message in the junk folder there, the "not junk" button was there. This same message in the Mail client junk folder did not have the button. I think what is going on is the messages in the Mail client only have the button if the message was flagged as spam by the local Mail client junk/spam filter. If the message is flagged as junk on the Apple server side it appears to move it to the junk folder at the server side, and the IMAP local client just reflects that without really knowing why.

I noticed this in the message source. So even if you could click not junk, that would not let Apple's servers know the message is not junk. To do that you need to login to icloud.com apparently.

X-CLX-Shades: Junk
    X-CLX-Score: -200
    X-CLX-UnSpecialScore: -200
    X-CLX-Spam: true

Compared to this in a normal message.

X-CLX-Shades: NotJunk
    X-CLX-Score: 1005
    X-CLX-UnSpecialScore: 221
    X-CLX-Spam: false

12. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

Computer algorithms will never be able to successfully identify and remove only that mail you don't like. There will always be false positives, and you'll always need to give a quick scan to your junk folder before deleting its contents.

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think everybody understand that, but that is not the issue being discussed here.

14. Randomizer macrumors member

Randomizer

exactly. my question revolves around the behavior of the application. Wouldn't it be appropriate to assume that if the piece of mail is in the junk folder that it is being flagged as junk? This being the case, the thumbs up 'not junk' button should be available. Instead I am seeing only the thumbs down 'junk' button. Why give me that selection if it has already been flagged as junk?

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I completely agree. This has always been an issue. If the server flags it as spam, the only way to fix it is to go to icloud.com and make the change. I don't see why they can't integrate this into their very own mail client.

16. mic j macrumors 68030

Totally concur!!! I've been noticing this for a while now and couldn't quite figure out what was going on. Thanks for getting to the bottom of it Weaselboy.

17. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

I go the actual email websites and mark them as not junk there, seems to work pretty well when I come back to the OS X application.