Apple Mail not receiving POP3; Entourage works

Discussion in 'macOS' started by convert2b, Jan 6, 2009.

1. convert2b macrumors newbie

Pardon the screen name, new convert with mail issues. I cannot get my POP3 email to receive through Apple's mail client. Settings are correct and I can send a-ok; just not receive. And to make matters more screwy for me, I can get Entourage to work ok; just prefer Mail.
    Thanks.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If Mail cannot receive your POP3 messages, then you clearly do not have the correct settings. There is no other explanation. You need to carefully go through your settings to find the error. Obviously, a misspelled domain or server name will cause problems. However, you may have a more subtle problem like an extra space character at the end of your server address.

3. convert2b thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple Mail...

Settings are fine. Have checked dozens of times. Same exact settings work in Entourage and Outlook (Win XP) and work a-ok. It's only the incoming that doesn't work in Mail. Outgoing is fine. I'm starting a Gmail approach now... and fyi-same settings work fine in Gmail.

4. markgamber macrumors 6502

I ran into this problem with a friend's computer and Comcast. It would send fine but it wouldn't receive mail. The POP3 error messages varied, which didn't make sense. As I recall, I moved /Users/YourNameHere/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist to the desktop (didn't delete it, just in case) and then started mail again and went through the setup required to connect to Comcast for POP3 and SMTP and that fixed it. Your mileage may vary but if it worked for me, it might be worth a shot.

5. convert2b thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple Mail

Mister Me- thanks for the advice. I didn't work on mine, but I appreciate the suggestion!

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

What email service are you using? Hotmail, for instance, only works with Entourage and Outlook. Others may require specific port settings that you may not have noticed (I skim over those a lot of times and don't notice things there).

jW

7. vc08 macrumors newbie

I have a similar problem where I can get recent emails but Mail wont download emails received over the weekend. I can see them sat there on the server when I access the account via webmail. Send a test mail from another account, no problem.

8. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Open Mail and look at the Mail's menu item 'Window'. in the 'Window' drop-down select Connection Doctor and ti will show the steps it takes to talk to the server with any errors in communication. It will help you to see if your server settings are correct.

9. koekaniini macrumors newbie

I see IMAP but no POP3

I have a similar issue with Mail 4.2.
    Under my mailboxes I can see four IMAP folders just fine, but I have also set up three POP3 accounts that I can not see. They are available in Mail for I can see them in SMTP sending server list, in the get mail for XXXX account, in Connection Doctor (all fine there) and in account settings.
    I can even see that mail is received to them in the "mail activity" pain. I just can't see/read the incoming mail anywhere. I have done the good-old-windows-troubleshooting by restarting Mail and OS X but no resolution. Any ideas?

10. craig4568, May 10, 2011
    Last edited: May 10, 2011

craig4568 macrumors member

cant receive mail

Hi im having the same problems all settings are correct i can send from my pop email account but when i click the get mail button it collects one email from the 17th of march and then the circle ticks round and round .ive left it collecting email overnight ands still no joy
    the mac mail collects all other mail accounts mail no problems

CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP

this is really doing my head in

craig
    if its any help when the circle is whirring round and it looks like its collecting mail if i go to account info it says calculating sizes but it will just keep going and i dont get any error messages it just cant get past the first email it collects

Regards

11. carestudio macrumors 6502

I have been having this issue for few days, any idea?
    I could see all the mails on server and from my Apple Mail's "account info" fetching all the mails, however, the newer mails would not be downloaded to my inbox.....

12. carestudio macrumors 6502

anyone knows any solution that I can try?
    I tried apple support site http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3276
    everything looks fine except I still cannot receive mails from my mail provider. It was working fine few days ago. I tried to delete mails from my provider too.

13. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

First what did Connection Doctor say? Did you know to setup email accounts in 10.8 use System preferences->Mail, Contacts & Calendars pane, choose your provider or make a custom one (at the bottom in the right hand pane) putting in your ISP server info with username/password for the server?

Also did you check the providers page to see if the servers are down yet?

Lastly for all of those seeing this post using Google Email read the article Make Mail and GMail play nice first before panicking.

14. carestudio macrumors 6502

so finally got it work.
    I had to delete my account from apple mail and also called the mail sever provider to re-index the server. All is good now. Thanks God!