Apple Mail on iMac and MacBook

Discussion in 'macOS' started by njs, Nov 1, 2010.

1. njs macrumors newbie

Thanks in advance.

For a number of reasons, i cannot use a web based mail program and use Apple Mail. Is thTre any way to synchronize my laptop and desktop mail activities so whatever happens on one happens on the other? Thanks - Neil

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If your mail provider supports IMAP then use that: it will synchronise across both.

3. GeekGuys macrumors regular

IMAP & iMail

Hi,

I use iMail on my iMac as it is the best product I have tried to date (which has included iMail, Entourage, PostBox, Pandora and many other 'free' products).

I would point you to a problem I have come across. I have about 6 mail accounts (different and same hosts) that I receive mail from daily. I use IMAP on both iMac and MBA. When I do this, I get all sorts of failures. Basically, it works for anything between 10 minutes and 10 days! Then, for no reason I can fathom, a mailbox on one of the two machines will go offline and won't go back online again.

I thought there were certificate conflicts and port conflicts etc etc but even when I don't use the MB for a week, I can replicate the problem within about 4 syncs.

This is a known problem with iMail and IMAP. It has been around since the first version and Apple don't appear to have any desire to resolve it.

So, I have iMail on my iMac (main machine) and it works probably 90% of the time. At least once a month I have to shut it down, restart (just iMail) and force Go Online to get a failed mailbox to work.

On the MBA I now suffer Entourage. I already had Office 2008 installed anyway so I just use that, sync my emails and then shut Entourage down again. Not my favorite product but it doesn't conflict with iMail at all.

Both are using IMAP so I always have both machines in sync.

In case you are wondering, this issue has been in Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard.... same problem.

4. GeekGuys macrumors regular

And also....

As an aside, you could use Apple Me. This will sync calendars, emails and documents between multiple Mac devices.

Don't use it myself and I am tight and don't want to pay for it!

5. njs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all. Neil

You mean MobileMe? Thanks - Neil

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yep.

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'm assuming MobileMe is what's intended.

Also, if you have local folders on both computers, like I do, and want to keep those synchronized, IMAP won't do 100% of the job. In that case you'll need some additional software help. There are tons of syncing programs - it really doesn't much matter which one you use. However, what IS important is that you select the correct folder to sync. Assuming that your short name is the same on both Macs, the folder is /Users/username/Library/Mail.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No, you do not. The Apple email client is named Mail. IMail Server and IMail Express are Windows-based email products from Ipswitch, Inc.