Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boyd01

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Have been changing some things with my e-mail today after setting up an iCloud account. Not sure if that is part of the problem, but now when I try to access most of my messages in my Verizon.net account, I get a forever-spinning pinwheel and "Loading..." displayed.

If I access the Verizon mail on their web portal, everything works fine. I can also access the same messages on my iPhone (iOS 6) fine.

Now I have sent a few quick test message from the iCloud account to the Verizon account just now, and they work properly in Apple Mail. But previously sent messages (especially if they included html) just say "Loading".

Connection Doctor says everything is OK with both the POP and SMTP verizon server setup. On the Verizon Web Portal, it shows no messages in the spam folder.

I am not using any rules for spam filtering. Apple Mail v6.5, MacOSX 10.8.4.

Any ideas?

----------

So I tried re-building mailboxes using the menu command in Apple Mail. That sort of "fixed" it, in that the messages which previously wouldn't load are just gone now. :confused:

But the same messages still show on my iPhone and the Verizon Web Portal.

TMRJ

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2010
I have the same problem. Looks like this problem has been around for a while. Any advice?

Hrhnick

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2013
Not the best solution, but I'd try transitioning away from verizon.net email as it is POP only. The POP3 standard is from 1988, a time when it was rare for everyone to have an internet connected computer, never mind multiple devices like tablets and phones.

My advice, set your Verizon mail to auto forward to a modern webmail offering like Gmail or iCloud that will let you use IMAP, which is so much better that POP3 on multiple devices.

It worked great for me, and I don't have to deal with the Verizon POP headache, and I still get all the mail sent to my @verizon.net address.

That said, Verizon did change their server addresses recently, so you might want to double check that.

sumbit

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2015
Still loading...

A year and a half later and we are still having this problem in Yosemite. Mail still says loading... on some e-mail messages. Anyone else still having this problem?

Also, when ever I hit one of these un-loadable e-mails, it sends my CPU utilization through the roof and the laptop spins up the fans, full speed. If left unchecked, the Mac starts to shutdown some of its wireless services... Bluetooth is usually the first to go which knocks my keyboard and mouse offline. If I force quit mail it resolves the issue until I read the same e-mail again. The same e-mail messages open perfectly in Outlook and I can't seem to find a common thread which makes them fail in Apple Mail. They are normal rich text e-mails without attachments.

Here is what it looks like for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaTz4a_ntpA&feature=youtu.be

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.