apple mail problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bmms8, Jun 10, 2008.

1. bmms8 macrumors 68020

Hello, i was wondering how i can change the "from" to a name instead of a email address. i added contacts to my address book but it still doesn't help. So basically instead of john@macrumors.com i want mail to just say john. thanks in advance!

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

Isn't this labeled that way when you add your name to the account? I know that all of mine display it being from the name that I have in that box, preferences, accounts, third box down is full name.

3. bmms8 thread starter macrumors 68020

thanks for the reply. but i mean when i receive an email. say if someone emails me from the address of john@macrumors.com i want mail to just show me "john" instead of john@macrumors.com

4. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

i believe it is in the address book there is a "me" card that is you and if you put a name there it should be the name it sends out. and you can test it out by send ing your self an email to see if your name is placed there.

5. bmms8 thread starter macrumors 68020

hey thanks for the reply. maybe i am wording what i am trying to say wrong. say steve jobs emails me from the address stevejobs@apple.com my mail will show the address that he is sending from which is fine, but instead of displaying the address i want my mail application to just display Steve Jobs. It automatically does it for me with some email addresses, but for some it does not, even after changing the name in the address book. hope this is more clear, thanks

6. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

no i read it wrong sorry. i thought you wanted to change your own email. not other email that come in. i think that is how the sender sets it. i dont know if there is a way to auto format the email so a receiver can change it.

7. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

I read it wrong as well, that is done on the senders side, they have to update their client to include their name.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The sender's display name is determined by preferences on their end, not yours. I understand your need, though, if you get emails from people with cryptic addresses that don't identify them, or with strange nicknames that you don't recognize. I could be wrong, but I don't think you can override what displays simply by adding their email address to your address book. That affects outgoing, but not incoming mail.

9. bmms8 thread starter macrumors 68020

hey thanks for everyone's replies. after looking into it more the above poster is right. it is set by the sender of the email, something that mail.app cannot change. i guess it makes sense to some degree, I'm just surprised that more people don't think this is a small problem.