Apple Mail question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MKnight, Dec 28, 2007.

1. MKnight macrumors regular

MKnight

I have several different alias's that I use and I want to add a 'from' field when I create a new email message so I can enter a specific alias I want to send from. Is that possible in Mail 3.1?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I think you'd have to set up accounts in Mail for each alias and you'll then be able to select which one you want to send from in a drop down menu in your message composition window.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Do you mean .mac email aliases?

If so, go to Mail->Prefs->Accounts->Edit email Aliases

4. nemex macrumors regular

nemex

Which mail service are you talking about? If you are using .mac, all your aliases will appear in the Mail.app once you set up you main account. All you
    have to do is select the alias you are willing to use from a drop box in the From: field within a new message. :apple:

5. MKnight thread starter macrumors regular

MKnight

No I don't have a .mac mail account.

I'm using Apple Mail at work with IMAP and only have 1 account created. I just want to use different alias's when sending out email. Like my internal email address may be mknight@domain.com, but the other alias I want to use may be m.knight@domain.com

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Actually, scratch my previous advice. With one account, can't you simply put multiple e-mail addresses separated by commas in the "From" section in the account preferences? In previous versions of Mail, that would give you the drop down menu to choose which one to send the message from. (Sorry, I'm not on Leopard.)

7. 119576 Guest

Mail > Preferences > Composing > "Send new mail from" field.

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

That just specifies the default "From" address when there are several available, no? I think the OP wants to be able to set it on the fly for each message.

9. 119576 Guest

Oh yeah. Uhm. Does the 'reply to' field do that for you? I don't regularly use aliases, but I'm presuming so.

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Sort of. But the e-mail would still come from address "A" while replies would go to address "B." Changing the "From" address enables you to keep everything consistent.

11. 119576 Guest

Oh, I forgot to mention; There's no 'From' field on 3.1 (apart from in the 'composing' pane)

12. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Sorry...you would list multiple addresses separated by commas in the "E-mail address" field under Preferences --> Accounts --> Account Information. This will give the drop-down menu for "Account" in the message composition window. (Again, this is Tiger...Leopard has to have something very similar.)

13. 119576 Guest

Yep. That works. :)
    (But you have to set up the other e-mail addresses using POP or IMAP rather than just listing them under Account Information.)