Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jonr515

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
Midwest!
I have rules set up on my MBP, it doesn't look like those rules filter the mail the same way on my iPhone and iPad. Is there a way to make the rules work across multiple devices?

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
It is best done in webmail (www.icloud.com/mail, gmail.com etc. depending on mailserver), so you don't need to have your computer running. But unless you are using pop3 (which you shouldn't) things should sync back to server and out to other devices.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Two realistic options: As mentioned, setup the rules on the server via iCloud.com. Or if you have another Mac that can be left on all the time let it process the rules so it shows up on all your devices.

Jonr515

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
Midwest!
Nope... you will need to manually set them up.
One more question. Some of the rules I use are to filter like ads that I get regularly from different senders. In one rule can I list multiple senders separated by a comma? I ask because I added some rules via iCloud.com and I’m still getting the emails in my inbox.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
One more question. Some of the rules I use are to filter like ads that I get regularly from different senders. In one rule can I list multiple senders separated by a comma? I ask because I added some rules via iCloud.com and I’m still getting the emails in my inbox.
That won't work. You need a separate entry for each email like in my screenshot.

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 11.47.50 AM.png

Reactions: jagooch

Jonr515

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
Midwest!
I was putting the rules in on my ipad since my MBP is in for repair and it doesn’t give me that drop down.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I was putting the rules in on my ipad since my MBP is in for repair and it doesn’t give me that drop down.
Ah gotcha... I think iOS allows you to just block a user, but I don't think that syncs over to macOS if that is important to you. You might be better off setting up these rules on icloud.com so they run server side and block things to all your devices before they even get sent there.

Reactions: satcomer

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
iCloud's webmail (server) rules leave a lot to be desired.

For filtering from senders there you can specify a domain (xyx.com) instead of a specific email (joe@xyz.com) to apply a rule to everything from that specific domain. Not much help for 99.44% of users.

Rules or Filters is one of the important things to be considered when choosing an email provider in these times of multiple devices.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Sorry for the delay. I just got my MBP back and I'm back to trying to clean up my email. What client is this? I went to the web based and I don't have that option at all?
That's the standard Apple mail app rules window.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Ahh I see, that's my problem, I can't just use Apple mail or the rules don't sync across devices so if my MBP isn't running the filters don't work.
Yes, if you want the rules applied across all clients you'll have to set up the rules with your mail provider. If you're using iCloud mail then the link in post #11 of this thread explains how it's done. If you're using a different mail provider you'll need to look for specific settings for that provider.

Reactions: Weaselboy

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Ahh I see, that's my problem, I can't just use Apple mail or the rules don't sync across devices so if my MBP isn't running the filters don't work.
You can make rules at the iCloud webmail page if you click the settings wheel…lower left. As has been stated, you'll have to make a single rule for each email address since you can't combine email addresses into one rule.

You can (as I stated earlier in the thread) make a single rule to filter anything coming from a specific domain name but that's probably not going to help most folks.

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.