Apple Mail vs Entourage

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DJAKO, Jan 26, 2008.

1. DJAKO macrumors 6502a

There were a few threads similar to these in the past, but they were already a year old.

Wanted to see everyones opinions on what they use and why.

Right now I use Apple Mail. Happy with it so far, pretty simplistic, easy on the eyes. "Everything just works" ;)

Entourage for MS 2008 does look pretty nice, but switching to another application seems cumbersome.

What are opinions between the two? Does one do something better than the other?

2. sil3nc3 macrumors regular

Entourage won't take my email cos its a free hotmail.

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Wow, two Microsoft products not working together?! Surprising! :eek:

:rolleyes:

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I like Mail because after reading and writing the emails I can click on my RSS feeds from CNN and the like. :)

5. numlock macrumors 68000

to me its almost the difference between microsoft and apple. Mail is a simple, easy to use and nice looking application while entourage is this hideous looking application thats cumbersome to use.

I decided to use owa instead of entourage at work until they opened up imap on the exchange server

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Entourage is mail+PIM. and not free, where comes comparison?

real competitor for mail.app is Mozilla Thunderbird. which frankly, is better, IMO.

[​IMG]

7. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

I tried Entourage 2008 the other day, and while it's very nice, I just found it to be slower and a little more difficult to use. Not to mention I wasn't able to import a calendar from iCal, so I already found half of the program to be useless.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

At home and on the road, I use Mail. Love it! It's simple. It's intuitive. It works.

At work, I used Entourage 2004 until recently switching to Entourage 2008. I use Entourage to communicate with my firm's Exchange server. If you don't have to communicate with an Exchange server, then there is no reason to use Entourage. However, it sucks even on an Exchange server. The one improvement that I have seen in Entourage 2008 over Entourage 2004 is that the new version is non-modal. This is to say that 2008 allows simultaneous access to its messages, address book, calendar, etc.

My overall opinion of Entourage is that it is one of Microsoft's worst applications ever. It competes with Access for the booby prize.

9. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Rather, hotmail doesn't offer pop mail service, so it can't be set up on any mail application.

10. danielforman macrumors regular

I have Entourage 2008 with a free MSN email account. Did start using mail but it does not support the HTTP MSN mail server as far as I can see. Although I tried a plugin to get it to work it wasn't always reliable.

Entourage is pretty good though. Compared to Outlook 2007, which I use on my Windows Boxes, Entourage is so much faster.

11. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Mail is great for me.

I don't understand why so many apps try to make email so complicated.

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

13. marilena macrumors newbie

MAIL settings???

Hi everybody,

i use MAIL:apple: and am very happy with it. tried Entourage and didn't like it much

there is ONE thing I'd like your help on though.. I use MAIl for an exchange account and I can't syncronize it properly. I don't care about sent mail but I'd like to sync the inbox. That is when I delete a massage from MAIL I have to get rid of it twice, also on the server page. can I avoid that?

or altrnatively delete messages on the server page while Keeping it on MAIL? so far if i delete an email then the respective email on mail disappears...

help much appreciated!!
    thanks
    maril:)

14. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

Seems like the consensus is apple mail huh? Glad to hear.

15. marilena macrumors newbie

help?

anybody with suggestions on my problem laid below?
    thaaaaanks

m

16. RolandVet macrumors member

It seems that you have made a POP connection with your exchange server. If you want to synch with your server use a imap connection

17. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Windows Mail manages to have more buttons, more clutter and uses more screen space to do everything Mail does, but not quite as well.

18. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Kind of funny reading this because I've switched to Thunderbird. :p

19. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

If you need a lot of features and good Applescript support use Entourage. If you just want to check your email use Mail.app

20. magamo macrumors 6502

I use Mail because it's simple and I don't need anything more sophisticated.

21. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

I've always preferred Apple Mail over Entourage, I find that Mail works faster and is easier to use. Like deleting a message in Entourage took longer than to delete a message in Mail. (For me anyway)

Mail is also simpler to use in my opinion.