Apple Mail w/ IMAP just sucks

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rev316, Apr 27, 2008.

1. rev316 macrumors regular

Apple Mail has been locking up my system consistently when either receiving/syncing operations occur w/ IMAP mail. It's hard to trigger it but eventually I'll try to pull up a new message and.. bam. For it its just limited to IMAP, I'm not quite sure. Rebuilt the indexes.... Has anybody found a fix so Apple Mail plays nicely with several IMAP boxes?

2. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

I've also found Mail.app to be particularly unstable with my Gmail IMAP account.

3. akm3 macrumors 68020

I am setup on Mail via IMAP to Gmail and it works perfectly. Or at least stably, there are some issues with how Gmail tags Emails versus Mail, but it all WORKS.

4. jive turkey macrumors 6502

Mail sends and receives to my IMAP accounts flawlessly...it is the folder management that sucks for me. I can't subscribe to or unsubscribe from any folders, and I can't set up custom folders for junk, deleted messages, sent messages, etc. Mail.app is just going to use the folders it wants to use, and I am going to have no choice but to look at them.

5. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

Strange - I use it with Fastmail.fm (as does everyone at my company) and it works great. Maybe it's just the Gmail implementation.

6. reubs macrumors 68000

My major beef with Mail and IMAP Gmail is that I get one copy of an e mail in my inbox and one copy in my Smart Mailbox. This might be a settings error, but it's just kind of annoying.

Any ideas on how to fix that?

7. rev316 thread starter macrumors regular

Yep. This is with Gmail.

I'm well aware that not everybody may run into the issues I am. But I have several IMAP boxes going off and the Mail app just can't keep up.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There is nothing to fix. A smart mailbox is not a mailbox. It is merely a list of messages that fit a certain criteria.

9. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

I use .mac imap with Mail with thousands of emails and it works beautifully. I use gmail imap also but the volume is much less.

10. neoserver macrumors 6502

GMail IMAP works just fine over here. I get the odd connection blip, but thats usually sorted out within 5-10 mins.

11. Herodotis macrumors newbie

Gmail IMAP, plus another IMAP account and a POP account all work great in Mail for me.

Cheers!!!

12. JonNiss macrumors newbie

I too didn't find it easy to use the Gmail IMAP. The Mail.app was very slow and eventually crashed my system.

Using POP3 and two different email accounts was easier for me.

13. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I can't get IMAP to work in Mail either. Quite a shame too because I can't set up Mail on both my iMac and MacBook. :(

14. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

Must be with gmail. Mail's been working perfectly with IMAP on my ISP (Panix.com).

15. MaccasW007 macrumors newbie

It works well from me at my home mac. We must use a pc with hotmail for my office.

16. mahanso1 macrumors newbie

Problems Syncing Mail with Hotmail

I'm having an issue with getting Mail to play nice while syncing with my Hotmail account. I had it all set up and working flawlessly about six months ago. Then last month I activated FileVault. Since that time, Mail won't import from Hotmail. Mail won't even appear. If I open Mail, nothing happens except Mail appearing on the Menu bar. There is no way to get the actual program to appear on screen. Any thoughts on the fix, or what might be causing the problem?

iMac (Intel Core Duo)

17. PixelRebel macrumors newbie

apple mail sucks w/ imap

I have multiple imap accounts in mail, not .mac not gmail, but my own server. It just sucks, what else can I say. When I click on the little reply or forward icons, next to the message, it doesn't bring up my replies, I have to search through my sent emails...And then of course apple mail's search sucks! so I have to literally make note of the date, then scroll through my sent folder to find the message I sent as a reply.

I need a better mail app, period. Any suggestions?

18. consalg macrumors newbie

Apple Mail is bad

I have been sending messages like this to Apple twice before, to no avail whatsoever:

1) I use two SMTP servers, one at home, one at work. Thus I receive mails sent to both addresses. When I do an automatic reply, mail picks as SMTP server the one corresponding to the address where I received the mail. If I reply from work to a mail sent to my home address, Mail picks the wrong SMTP, and the mail sits in the outbox until i find out. Sometimes urgent mails sit in the outbox for days. Couldn't you guys change the script in a way that Mail toggles among all available SMTP servers in my settings, until it finds the one that is currently active? If there is a way to set Mail to do so in the current version, then it is certainly not straightforward.
    2) When i find out that mail si attempting to send a mail from the damn wrong SMTP server and try to change it to the right one, Mail keeps trying the wrong one for MINUTES and fails to make the change. I literally have to QUIT the application and re-start it in order to make it do the right thing. Extremely irritating.
    3) Very simply, could you make the outbox icon flash in the main window if there are unsent mails in it?

19. consalg macrumors newbie

Apple Mail is pure merdaware. In the way Apple disregards consumer dissatisfaction, they remind me more and more of Windows.

20. polotska macrumors 6502

Gmail sucks, and their IMAP implementation REALLY sucks, so I don't find this surprising at all.

21. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

OK, newbie. You would be much better served if you asked for help with your problem rather that kvetching while keeping silent about what is giving you trouble.

You are necro-replying to a user who also did not specify his problem. This Mac user has an assortment of email accounts--POP3, IMAP, and me.com--setup in Mail. I have had not a whiff of trouble with the IMAP accounts or any of the others.

It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.

22. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Works fine for me. It was the easiest IMAP setup I've ever used. I use Gmail as well.

Make sure your GMail is set up to allow IMAP.

23. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I have 3 gmail accounts, plus my mobile me account set up in Apple Mail... and it also works flawlessly for me. All of these accounts are set the same for all 4 of my Macs... and I get the identical synced view regardless of which Mac I use. I love it.

I agree with chronoto make sure that Gmail is set to allow IMAP. Also, use the recommended Apple Mail settings found in the Gmail documentation.

/Jim

24. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I think Mail is great - I use it everyday with my MobileMe and university email accounts.

However, I *do* agree that Gmail kind of sucks with Mail, but Gmail kind of sucks with all email programs. Personally I just use Gmail's web interface, which is really good.

25. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

As an app, I like Mail, but the IMAP with gmail is pretty crappy for me too. Particularly sending attachments. I don't why it is so difficult but it is apparently. Watching my network monitor I can see a steady upload stream that stays active far longer than it should take to send a given attachment. I've pretty much stopped using Mail and just doing everything web-based since I have to send attachments pretty frequently.