Apple Mail with Yahoo Mail problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Hambone23, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Hambone23 macrumors newbie

So I linked up my wife's yahoo mail acct to her macbook air a few months back. Recently she has noticed that the old emails in her inbox, going back to 2003, are gone. just vanished. However, when she accesses the yahoo acct throuch the mac "mail" program, she can see them all.

We are new to macs and kind of clueless. Any idea what is going on here and if it is possible to restore them to her yahoo inbox. and if not, where are they?

thanks you

2. RickyB macrumors regular

It sounds like normal behaviour, unfortunately. The default setting for Mail is to delete emails from the server (in this case Yahoo) after a week or so after you've downloaded them to your Mac.

It is possible to change this (in the Safari menu, choose Preferences... and it's in there somewhere) but I'm not sure if it's possible to get them restored to the Yahoo Inbox, but it sounds like they are stored on your mac.

3. Hambone23 thread starter macrumors newbie

do you know where they would be stored? I'd like to at least copy them to a backup drive.

4. Hambone23 thread starter macrumors newbie

so I discussed this problem with my buddy who works for apple. he solved it lickity split and the emails are now getting pushed back onto yahoos server. thought I'd post his help here if anyone has this issue in the future.

In mail, you need to see if its set up for pop or imap. "Under the preferences / accounts. If it's POP, then it will download the email off the server and store locally. You want IMAP.

You could setup a new account as IMAP and drag and drop the email from the POP account to the IMAP account. If you have more than one email setup in Mail, it shows up like this: Then you can simply select the messages in one email and drag them to another mailbox to copy them. That is if Yahoo is setup as POP originally. If not, I'm not sure what the problem is."

"I'd create a new account as IMAP, copy the messages back over, and then delete the other POP account.

IMAP is a server based email system. It's always stored in the servers, folders, etc. Then on your devices, they sync the email from the server to the phone. POP is the old way of using email. Dragging and dropping messages will copy them to the destination and you should be able to go to yahoo.com on a web browser and see all of the email."

to clarify, can the new acct I create be the same email address as the pop one that is now missing the inbox files online?

"Yes, it can be the same email address."

so I added the same yahoo acct to "mail" but set it up as IMAP, then sellected all the old emails in the pop version, and copied them into the new imap one. it stalled out a bunch uploading them but so far 4000 or the 8k that disappeared are back on the yahoo server.