Apple Mail won't quit for good

Discussion in 'macOS' started by scooter6161, Apr 7, 2011.

1. scooter6161 macrumors newbie

Every time I quit mail, it opens right back up on its own. It is like it is posessed!

I have tried force quit the program, regular quite and I even reinstalled 10.6 hoping that would fix the problem. But every time it keeps opening back up on its own. I am going nuts trying to figure this out! It is so bad that sometimes a restart wont happen because when the computer shuts it down it opens back up and keeps the computer from restarting.

I have also tried going into terminal and doing "killall mail" it returns
    "No matching processes belonging to you were found"

Any help on performing an exorcist would be helpful....

2. Spikestrip, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011

Spikestrip macrumors member

Spikestrip

Terminal is case sensitive. Try "killall Mail' with a capitol "M." Also, it's possible something else is opening Mail. Do you have anything installed to work with Mail, or change the way Mail works?

Spike

Edit: Also, you can try going to ~/Library/Preferences and pulling the file titled com.apple.mail.plist to the desktop temporarily. While that file is on your desktop, open and close Mail to see if it works properly.

If it works, you can add you mail accounts back, and then you can import your .mbox files from folders named the same as you mail accounts in ~/Library/Mail. This is a little bit of a pain, but it should work if nothing else does, assuming the plist is the problem.

If it doesn't work, quit Mail, put the plist back, and we'll see if myself or someone else can help you out.

Spike

3. scooter6161 thread starter macrumors newbie

nope

I took the plist file out and placed on desktop as suggested and still mail would still just reopen on its own.

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

How are you quitting Mail? Are you closing one of its windows or are you using the menu bar to quit Mail?

One technique I use is to keep Mail running by closing all of its windows but it is still fetching messages and when I click the Mail icon in the dock it opens a new window but it was running all along. If I really close mail, it freezes while it tries to make sense of the several hundred emails received since the last time I had it open.

5. scooter6161 thread starter macrumors newbie

I use the menu bar to quit......

As soon as it quits it opens right back up, any more suggestions?

Thanks,
    Scott

6. cbronfman macrumors 6502

Back-up everything and

1. Use Disk Utility and repair permissions.
    2. If that doesn't work - BU all your mail boxes in Mail, delete mail (the program) as well as all of the plists associated with it in your library application support folder - and reinstall from your original software.

You might also try calling the help desk asking if these suggestions would help before you do so. It sounds to me like that program is corrupted by a file - whether it's the program or the database, haven't a clue.