Apple Mail.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Theunknown1087, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Theunknown1087 macrumors member

I use my desktop more with mail. So when I get mail, I delete what I don't need.

JUNK email never gets to my desktop client (outlook). However it gets to my "JUNK" folder on my Mail client for OS X (Mail).

When I delete the JUNK emails off of the Mail in OS X. They then all pop up in outlook on my PC and they ALL come to my black berry,

How do I stop JUNK from getting to my mail client when it doesn't come to outlook on my windows pc. What setting am I missing? because this is getting really annoying when it wants to download hundreds of junk emails.

2. kepner macrumors 6502

Who do you get your email through? (Gmail/Yahoo/Verizon?)

What type of mail account do you have this setup as? (IMAP/POP/Exchange?) (in both Outlook and OS X Mail)

Are you saying that when you move a message from the Junk folder to the Trash folder in OS X Mail, that message will then show up in your Inbox in Outlook?

3. Theunknown1087 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry I thought I posted it. I have gmail. It's POP. I followed the directions from gmail to set it up in outlook, then again followed it for Mail.

I open Mail it downloaded actual email, and junk mail. So inbox will have a few, and Junk folder will have some.

Outlook- Only downloads email, just stays on the server.

If I use Mail and select all the junk mail and hit delete, then delete it out of the trash. When outlook refreshes, it down loads ALL those junk emails for for some reason.

4. Theunknown1087 thread starter macrumors member

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You do understand that you cannot use POP3 to synchronize your messages? Using POP, you may either delete downloaded messages from the server or you may leave them on the server. If you leave them on the server, then each of your messages will be downloaded by each of your email clients--Mail, Outlook, Thunderbird, whatever. If you erase downloaded messages from the server, then you will have a copy on one computer at most. The choice is yours.

6. kepner macrumors 6502

My advice would be to switch to IMAP (Gmail supports IMAP, but I think you first have to turn it on in Gmail's settings). They give you so much space (~7 GB?), you might as well keep it all on the server and have your hierarchy synced between all devices.