Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
The way things are going, this time next year I wouldn't be surprised to see Samsung in the lead.

snprintf

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2014
I know it may seem so, but Samsung =/= Android. And yes, Android is an OS but the report is about tablet manufacturers' marketshare not OS marketshare.. That's why you don't see iOS, Android, etc. That's a different report altogether.

Well almost all the other tablets run Android, and people aren't buying tablets and changing the OS, so it's relevant.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Well almost all the other tablets run Android, and people aren't buying tablets and changing the OS, so it's relevant.

You mean it's relevant to the narrative you're trying to create. In relation to the topic of the post, which is manufacturer market share, it has no relevance whatsoever. That's why you see Apple and Samsung instead of iOS and Android.

There was a post on MR a few days ago about OS marketshare. This is not that post.

mk_in_mke

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2003
Milwaukee, WI
You are serious?

Eh?

Market share has nothing to do with active base. It's sales over a given time period (further obscured in this case because sales to consumers isn't known for most vendors).

It's not really a shock that hoards of cheaper tablets will start to catch up to sales of "premium-only" vendors like Apple in terms of pure units shipped.

You cannot be serious...

A company A sells 100 product P... No one else sells... Another company B markets the same product P one year after... Company A does not make a sale and company B sellers 10 of them. Result 110 product P are on market. What is the market share of company A? What is the market share of company B?
Please answer the question...

Now replace company A by Apple and company B by Samsung if you wish... Higher sales for company B contribute to the erosion of a company's A market share but do not come and tell that active base has nothing to do with market share. This is idiotic comment since the active base, is the market!

Last edited:

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Eh?

Market share has nothing to do with active base. It's sales over a given time period (further obscured in this case because sales to consumers isn't known for most vendors).

It's not really a shock that hoards of cheaper tablets will start to catch up to sales of "premium-only" vendors like Apple in terms of pure units shipped.

You cannot be serious...

A company A sells 100 product P... No one else sells... Another company B markets the same product P one year after... Company A does not make a sale and company B sellers 10 of them. Result 110 product P are on market. What is the market share of company A? What is the market share of company B?
Please answer the question...

Now replace company A by Apple and company B by Samsung if you wish... Higher sales for company B contribute to the erosion of a company's A market share but do not come and tell that active base has nothing to do with market share. This is idiotic comment since the active base, is the market!

blackcrayon is correct.

"Market share" is simply the percentage of sales in a market over a period of time.

Don't confuse that with "Installed Base" which is the number of units actually in use today.

Those are both industry-standard terms... and they both are used to measure different things.

afs_nj

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2001
CT
Yes, very odd

I even bothered to read the original article and the report is still lacking. How are tablets defined? Is this just the consumer market? Or, does the 80-90 percent of enterprise iPad share not factor into these numbers?

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
Those are both industry-standard terms... and they both are used to measure different things.

It is not uncommon to see both stats referred to as market share, probably because nobody has ever used the words install base to refer to smart phones. The context usually makes it clear which usage is in play.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
That graph is far different from reality.

When I go out, I see iPad (in people hands, actually being used) everywhere. I rarely see othe tablet at all. The only place I see so many other tablets are on shelves and demo units but that's about it.

That's the thing

It's saturated

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
That graph is far different from reality.

When I go out, I see iPad (in people hands, actually being used) everywhere. I rarely see othe tablet at all. The only place I see so many other tablets are on shelves and demo units but that's about it.

I have to agree here. I've only seen 2 non-iPad tablets in the wild in the past 6 months. Which is quite tiny, if not insignificant, since I see at least 3-5 tablets a day nowadays.

kdarling

macrumors P6
If the court room drama between Apple and Samsung taught us anything, it's that these IDC numbers are a joke.

Not your fault for thinking that, if you're referring to back when some reporters confused a court list of US infringing sales, with world sales.

IDC's been around for almost fifty years. Apple quotes IDC in their quarterly earnings calls.

I even bothered to read the original article and the report is still lacking. How are tablets defined? Is this just the consumer market? Or, does the 80-90 percent of enterprise iPad share not factor into these numbers?

For this kind of public report, IDC counts shipments of all tablets with major OSes.

You'd have to pay them to get a report that separated out tablet sales between consumer/ enterprise/ ruggedized types.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.