Apple manager layed down the line to routine scalpers this am

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PurpleSauce, Mar 23, 2011.

1. PurpleSauce macrumors newbie

While waiting in line for my new iPad this Wednesday morning I witnessed something quite comical but impressive for apple (finally).

Our store did not open exactly on time due to construction, but while the tickets were already handed out the manager came out to talk to the patient iPad fans/ scalpers. She saw a couple whom she apparently recognized from previous days. She walked up to them and said that this store is only selling 5 iPads per customer..EVER! The homeless looking white scalper began swaying and getting obviously nervous. The manager asked her how many she has bought. The scalper then replied saying that Apple itself does not have that rule anywhere. The manager replied, it's not apples policy, it's mine and this stores. She told her this is her last time she is allowed to come here to purchase an iPad. The manager explained it is not fair to the people who actually want an iPad for themselves and are also loyal customers.

Shout out to the manager at the apple store in bridgewater! Not only was that impressive but honorable to Apple's true fans. I only wish she had a translator so she could say it to all the non English speaking people in line.

2. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Good for that store!

However, to play devil's advocate for a moment ...
    How do they plan on enforcing this? Checking driver's licenses and keeping a list of names? That doesn't sit very well with me.
    Or, is that manager just making blind threats that she doesn't actually intend on following?

3. rtztgue macrumors regular

This is great. To bad there is not some easy way to track who has bought the ipads and limit them to two ipads for the first month or so.

4. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

This is awesome! I wish I was there just to see the look in all the scalpers' faces! Hope other managers will follow this example!

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

She was probably tired of seeing the greed of the scalpers and hearing the plight of the regular clients just trying to get one.

She is awesome :cool:

6. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

bridgewater ? NJ?

7. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

This is good to hear and I would, as a manager, have done the same thing days ago, regardless of Apple's position. Credit card + ID should be required on the first 60-days of a new iOS device release.

8. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

Blind threat. There is no way to track these customers without running afoul of the Apple standards of not requiring ID or CC. Best she can do is scare them, but if they walk in the store, short of them walking up to THAT manager, any other Apple employee would likely sell them the iPad.

9. epgoldie macrumors newbie

10. rtztgue macrumors regular

Well, they could always put up pictures of the people and then refuse service to them. I believe that law is legal in all 50 states. its not like they have to worry about watching them all day. The ipads come in, you blink, and the ipads are gone. Besides, they could always look at people in line from one day to the next and tell the repeats politely that they will not get any today so they might as well leave the line.

11. jb007clone macrumors 6502

jb007clone

Rogue manager doesn't have the authority to do that. All one reseller would have to do is call up Apple and complain and she'd be in trouble. This isn't some purchased franchise we're talking about, this is an Apple store. Wish Apple would release a statement about the reselling. Help elaborate their stance on the issue.

12. goMac macrumors 603

They most certainly do.

Yes, Apple could possibly override. But I'm betting they won't.

13. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

I was thinking the same exact thing, I tried going there twice in the morning last week, had no idea there were scalpers on line :confused:

14. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Maybe that manager read all about the "pain" we had suffered while waiting for our chance to buy an iPad here at MR forums & thus decided to do something about it! :eek:

15. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I am with store manager on this one. Sure she bought too many iPads. Enough is enough. Go to somewhere else.

16. jb007clone macrumors 6502

jb007clone

Um... no? Apple store managers control Apple policy now? I don't think so. I'm not saying she couldn't do it, in the sense that nothing is physically preventing her from being capable of doing so, but more in the sense that she does not have the authority to create new Apple policy.

Starbucks store managers, for example, do not have the ability to create new store policy on the fly. That's grounds for serious reprimand.

17. goMac macrumors 603

Apple Store managers can implement policies at their own stores. Hence the word manager. It's always been this way. (The same is also true of Starbucks, but Starbucks has a much tighter code, leaving less wiggle room. I've talked to a few Starbucks employees about this.)

Apple can reverse those policies, but until anything is said otherwise, a manager can manage their store how they wish.

It's kind of like state governments vs. federal governments. The states can make their own rules until the feds say otherwise.

(I've also witnessed per store policy in previous launches, like the iPhone 4 launch. Some stores even extended the reservation lengths.)

18. PurpleSauce thread starter macrumors newbie

I was reading the ticket I received for my iPad and it crearly stated, not even in small print that government issued identification is required for purchase. I had my I.D out and ready assuming they were going to card me.

Also a private establishment has the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason as long as it is not discriminatory towards race, sex, religion etc. So in theory she could refuse the sales. But you guys are right, since apple did not issue a statement regarding their policies it is simply up for interpretation for us. Most likely a manager would not do something like that if she was not allowed to. When the store's lights went on there were people inside wearing apple shirts plus men in suits that definitely were not security. Assuming they were from corporate, makes me even more sure she was allowed to do such a thing with the big guys breathing down her neck.