Apple Maps Alerts International Travelers of Self-Isolation Guidance

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Maps appears to have started alerting users of self-isolation guidance for international travelers if they've recently been at an airport.

Kyle Seth Gray shared on Twitter an alert he received on his iPhone after being at an airport, suggesting the notifications are targeted geo-location based alerts, rather than being linked to any personal details about international travel.

The linked CDC guidance advises recent travelers to take their temperature with a thermometer twice a day to check for fever, to stay at home and avoid contact with others, not to take public transport, and to stay 2 meters away from other people.

Apple Maps started displaying COVID-19 testing locations within Apple Maps in April.

(Via 9to5Mac.)

Article Link: Apple Maps Alerts International Travelers of Self-Isolation Guidance

Unami

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
Because, apple maps assumes that you‘ve been to another country because you‘re at an airport instead of, I don‘t know, notifying you, when you are actually travelling internationally? That‘s just magic (as anybody with an iphone working at or commuting next to an airport will probably confirm over the next days)

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
US has about the same 8-10% positive test results as rest of the world:

Thu Jul 23 2020
New tests: 774,193
Positive: 71,027

There's nothing contact tracing can / should do at this scale.
That's irrelevant because the US in a way worse situation (and that's an euphemism) than almost every other (western) country.... but hey, just keep looking at the metrics you are comfortable with.

And I'm not making fun of you, what's happening in the US is scary and makes me sad.

Unami

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Austria

Thu Jul 23 2020

yeah, no. e.g. here in Austria we had about 830k tests and 20k positives. Similar numbers in our neighbouring countries, like Germany. with the great exception to Italy which was quite f***ed up, and had around 200k positives in 6 Million tests. So, yes, the US numbers are maybe the worst for a western country, but as long as it‘s out of control, contact tracing won’t do you much good. OTOH there’s a small window where it will work. Here in Vienna, we got around 500 active cases in quarantine and probably just as much in dark figures, with a population of around 2 Million. So, the chance that you’ll meet someone infectedlong and close enough to get infected are very slim - i recently deleted the contact tracing app, because it wasn’t worth the battery draining.

consumerDan

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
Georgia
Interesting how early on the focus was on deaths, but now the focus is on cases.

CDC says:
TOTAL CASES: 3,952,273
70,106 New Cases*

TOTAL DEATHS: 142,755
1,078 New Deaths*

Chance of death for all reported cases - 3.4%
Chance of death for the entire US population (328.2 million) - 0.04%

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008

Thu Jul 23 2020

We are at about 1% in the UK.

Edit:
Here is a link: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public#number-of-tests

It is a bit confusing because of the way our government has decided to report the data into 4 pillars (?!)

But yesterday there were:
147,595 tests (pillars 1 & 2)
769 positive cases (pillars 1 & 2)
therefore around ~0.5%

These are tests identifying if someone is currently infected.

The other two pillars are for anti-body tests (ie people who have had it previously) and surveillance testing presumably to calibrate the models against the general population (ie not just people reporting symptoms).

Last edited:

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
Interesting how early on the focus was on deaths, but now the focus is on cases.

CDC says:
70,106 New Cases*

1,078 New Deaths*

I don't know where you get the "focus" from.

Cases are relevant because we're talking about a virus with an exponential growth. And even if you don't die because of Covid, many people still suffer from the virus (lung, brain, kidney damage etc.).

Deaths were always relevant, period.

r0 is important to see how fast the virus is spreading.

Websnapx2

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003

Thu Jul 23 2020

The problem is there isn't enough testing. 774, 193 for a nation of over 328m means we are not even testing 0.3% of the population and yet still have the highest positive results in the world. So that is 8-10% of a sample, not if the general public.

Other nations are testing more, it's as simple as that.

Websnapx2

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
People are going to start relying on their phone to tell them what to do.
“Er... sir, you did not wash your hands long enough. I have told everyone in the board room meeting you have set on your calendar to keep their distance.”
I don't think that's a concern — it's a notification, not an order — your phone can't even make you answer a call coming though if you don't want to, never mind making you behave in a way you don't want to. As for telling people what you have or have not done seems more like a Google thing... sourcing bulk data and letting people know things they never asked.

dannyyankou

macrumors G3
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY

CDC says:
70,106 New Cases*

1,078 New Deaths*

If you’re going to play that game, the chance of death on 9/11 was .001% :rolleyes:

Mdracer

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2016
I don't think that's a concern — it's a notification, not an order — your phone can't even make you answer a call coming though if you don't want to, never mind making you behave in a way you don't want to. As for telling people what you have or have not done seems more like a Google thing... sourcing bulk data and letting people know things they never asked.
These are the people I am concerned about.

• Haha
Reactions: Websnapx2

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013
People are going to start relying on their phone to tell them what to do.
“Er... sir, you did not wash your hands long enough. I have told everyone in the board room meeting you have set on your calendar to keep their distance.”
Pretty soon your phones gonna tell you to get up off the crapper and wipe you ass

Websnapx2

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
These are the people I am concerned about.

Hey, you can't account for stupid. A few years ago I was trying to get to my cousin's place just outside the city I live in and I was very unfamiliar with this new, barely developed area. I decided to use Google Maps as most people swore by it and while I was more than happy with the accuracy of Apple maps in my region, I buckled to common narrative and decided not to risk it. Google maps ended up sending me right to the road entrance to a small airport's runway with a locked but unguarded bar-lift gate the only barrier between my vehicle and planes taxiing on the runway.

Know what I did? I stopped driving. At the end of the day, there are going to be some people who need to be told what to do, some who prefer to not listen at all and figure it out on their own and best yet — those who will deffer to good information presented to them, up until that information no longer seems sound and use their best judgement. This applies to all aspects of life, this is no different.

The one saving grace is that those who need to be told what to do are very rarely in a position of power so the chance that this thought process would somehow come to rule all of our lives is very slim.

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
No, only while using it. If you go into settings, privacy, location settings, Maps, you'll see you don't even get the option of always tracking. You get "Never", "Ask next time", and "While using the App".
I don’t think it is that simple. Maps is part of the OS and if you go:

privacy-> location services -> system services -> significant locations

You’ll see that your phone does keep a log of places you’ve been. I don’t think it is shared (ie, it stays on the phone) but it is kind of surprising when you see it for the first time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.