MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Maps has begun surveying Poland for its "Look Around" feature, which offers users a 360-degree immersive panoramic look of a city or location.

apple-maps-and-look-around.jpg

Apple maintains an updated list of countries, cities, and territories of where it is conducting ground surveys for Look Around. That list was recently updated with the addition of Poland. Additionally, a photo shared on Facebook shows an Apple Maps image collection vehicle in Poland. Apple says that the "vehicle ground-based research" of Poland will continue until August of this year.

Last month Apple began surveying Hong Kong for Apple Maps as it contuines its ambition to widen the availability of Apple Maps features to more locations. A full list of where Apple Maps is currently surveying can be found on Apple's website.

(Thanks, Piotr)

Article Link: Apple Maps Begins Surveying Poland for 'Look Around'

Ken88

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2020
I love to look around world cities map from time to time even though I’ll likely NOT going to visit them. Cities like London, Paris, Rome, New York City, Tokyo and Beijin..sure love to visit Paris one day to visit the Louvre Museum to see “ Mona Lisa “.

Last edited:
Reactions: dreyp82 and Spock

sunapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Anyone got experience of how long it has taken from survey to actually being available?

Could be years. My parents saw an Apple Maps vehicle by their house last summer even though they live in a smaller village. The feature is still not available here in The Netherlands, yet Apple seems to be covering the whole country already. Meaning they could very well be waiting until they get every part of the country mapped before release.

Yammabot

macrumors regular
May 15, 2017
Northern NJ
So, I can’t find my way around rural NJ while the app just shuts down and doesn’t know where I am or where to go, leaving me at the mercy of google maps but hey if I’m ever in Poland I’ll be able to find my way? Sounds great Apple! Really innovative!

rumormiller

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2017
So much duplication of effort going on. Hopefully one day, all the major map providers will have a data sharing agreement.

Reactions: RPi-AS

maxfromdenmark

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2011
Copenhagen
I love to look around world cities map from time to time even though I’ll likely NOT going to visit them. Cities like London, Paris, Rome, New York City, Tokyo and Beijin..sure love to visit Paris one day to visit the Louvre Museum to see “ Mona Lisa “.
Mona Lisa you say. Prepare for 5 hours long line for buying a ticket and then try again to see the small painting from the distance covered by hundreds of other museum guests 😁
But Paris is beautiful

DesignTime

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2021
‘Look Around’ is about 12 years behind Google. I wish I could use it, but it isn’t available anyplace I’m going. Meanwhile Google has 3-4 years worth of images for 90% of the places I would use ‘Look Around’ or ‘Street View’.

Reactions: PowerMacBook

Ken88

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2020
Mona Lisa you say. Prepare for 5 hours long line for buying a ticket and then try again to see the small painting from the distance covered by hundreds of other museum guests 😁
But Paris is beautiful
It’s worth the wait..it’s one-time thing. I’ve waited more than 15 hours to see Star Wars episode 7 few years back..clearly NOT worth the wait😆

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.