Apple Maps: Censored Areas

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by meskida, Aug 12, 2012.

1. meskida macrumors newbie

I was looking around the area where I live on Apple maps, and came across 2 blurry areas that are obviously censored.

One is a military base and the other belongs to our royal family. Funny thing is, these areas do show up uncensored on Google maps, so I don't see why Apple would blur them :confused:

Attached Files:

2. MkNuII macrumors member

Google maps are probably older than the ones from Apple since it's currently updating. There are some security issues regarding that.

Not sure, just a wild guess.

3. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

4. kiwiboi87 macrumors 6502

the local army camp shows up fine,
    i think its apple just sorting things still

5. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Interesting, they are working off of Tom-Toms map data so you never know if they could tweak it in the future.

6. Zcott macrumors 68020

South Korea appears to be uncensored, unlike iOS 5's Maps.

7. cvam1985 macrumors regular

The huge radio tower where I work is blurred by Apple but in plain sight by Google....I've also wondered why.

APPLE

[​IMG]

GOOGLE

[​IMG]

8. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

That's not the same thing. The photo from Apple is in 3D mode and it looks like they have had trouble replicating the tower. It hasn't been censored looking at that image.

9. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

Umm... South Korea is uncensored in iOS 5 too... are you confused with N and S Korea? N Korea is the one with all the troubles...

10. Zcott macrumors 68020

Hm, odd. I remember a thread in here saying SK had censored images in satellite view, and this website also confirms it:

http://ogleearth.com/2012/07/apple-censors-ipad-maps-app-over-south-korea/

However, it is strange that N Korea has all the trouble but S Korea was censored!

11. TC25 macrumors 68020

Huh? What's the fact that N Korea 'has all the trouble' (whatever that means) have to do with whether they are on Apple Maps?

If you were S Korea, would you want to give N Korea, your arch enemy run by a psycho, free aerial views of your country? Granted, such views are probably available other places but still.

12. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

When I quoted 'has all the trouble' most people know what I mean. N Korea isn't a normal country like the US, UK, etc. where you can go there and have a nice holiday. It's a very restricted country run by an awful government. I feel sorry for the people there.

South Korea already has it's maps available in many places as you said. And S Korea is one of this "normal" countries.

13. TC25 macrumors 68020

Agreed. Seeing an aerial view of N. Korea is like seeing an aerial view of a refuse dump + a prison. Sad.

14. cvam1985 macrumors regular

Interesting.

But curious then, if I look at Google's 3D maps on my N7 it is there, albeit not as pretty.

15. shawnwich macrumors 6502

shawnwich

16. Cybbe macrumors 6502

It's not that strange. Seoul is within range of North Korean long-range artillery. They have valid concerns when it comes to geo-data.