Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Starting with iOS 14, Apple Maps gained support for cycling directions, which take into account elevation, how busy a street is, and whether there are stairs along the route. The feature launched in a limited number of regions, but it has been gradually expanding, and as of this week is now available in Seattle and more areas of California.

apple-maps-cycling-directions-trio.jpg

iPhone users in Seattle and across California have been receiving push notifications letting them know about cycling direction availability this week, and these locations are now reflected on Apple's iOS feature availability page.In addition to Seattle and California, Apple says cycling directions are available in mainland China, London, New York City, and Portland, Oregon.

(Thanks, Virginia!)

Article Link: Apple Maps Cycling Directions Now Available Across California and Seattle

Reactions: Javabird

Karma*Police

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2012
Apple’s maps “progress” has been disappointing at best. It’s as if they‘re doing just enough to remain 5 years behind Google. I wish Apple would spend a fraction of the billions they’re spending to buy back stock to license Google‘s maps data... but definitely retain ownership of the UI.

BobHinden

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
I think this is good, but what I would like to see is a way of showing bike paths/lanes/etc. Google maps does this pretty well.

I typically ride my bike for exercise where I do a trip from my house and back to my house. Getting directions isn't useful for that :)

What would be great is to tell it I want to do a ride for 20 miles and have it suggest some bike friendly routes.

Reactions: DamoTheBrave

hagar

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
The most annoying thing about this: the list of unavailable features in my country (Belgium) is getting longer instead of shorter. I'm still waiting for realtime transit, speed-limits, cycling and of course the new Waze like reports.

bwayne

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2021
Apple’s maps “progress” has been disappointing at best. It’s as if they‘re doing just enough to remain 5 years behind Google. I wish Apple would spend a fraction of the billions they’re spending to buy back stock to license Google‘s maps data... but definitely retain ownership of the UI.
Apple’s street view is so much higher quality. I’m hopeful they’ll have as much coverage as Google does in a few years time, but for now Tokyo is covered in awesomely rich street view compared to Google’s offering. And Apple doesn’t track you to sell your data to advertising hacks.

Reactions: FindingAvalon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.