Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple seems to have expanded Apple Maps transit information and the 3D view feature in Portugal and the Netherlands.

amsterdam-maps.jpg

According to iCulture, Apple has added 3D rendering of satelite images to the cities of Amsterdam, Haarlem, Zandvoort, Bloemendaal, Heemstede, Hoofddorp, Zaandam, and Aalsmeer. Previously, only Rotterdam, Eindhoven, and Utrecht were viewable in 3D in the Netherlands. Flyover is not yet available in the new locations.

The expansion also seems to include several surrounding towns and villages such as Lisse, Abcoude, Amersfoort, Soest, Baarn, and Leusden. The images used are reportedly from the spring of this year.

lisbon-maps.jpg

In addition to the updated views in the Netherlands, Apple has also added public transit information for the city of Lisbon in Portugal to Apple Maps, including its surrounding areas. Apple Maps users in the region can now select public transportation routes when getting directions between two locations.

Transit directions were first added to ‌Apple Maps‌ in 2015 with the launch of iOS 9. Maps initially only offered transit information in a handful of cities, but over the course of the last five years, Apple has worked to expand the feature to additional areas.

Transit information is now live in dozens of cities and countries around the world, with a full list available on Apple's iOS and iPadOS Feature Availability website, although it has not yet been updated to include Lisbon.

Article Link: Apple Maps Expands Public Transit Information and 3D View in Portugal and the Netherlands

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
"From reality I just can't drift, that's why I'm staying with this riff"

tyranne201

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2020
Brazil is much bigger and more important than Portugal, yet does not have a single city with flyover and only 2 cities with transit. that's why google maps still will be the winner. I hope apple maps will flop into its existence, because their prioritisation is basically the rich. With google maps i can use street view in many cities in Africa. With Apple Maps I can do that just with the USA.

isotropic

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Brazil is much bigger and more important than Portugal, yet does not have a single city with flyover and only 2 cities with transit. that's why google maps still will be the winner. I hope apple maps will flop into its existence, because their prioritisation is basically the rich. With google maps i can use street view in many cities in Africa. With Apple Maps I can do that just with the USA.
Bigger yes, more important, not really. I don't think you need Transit in the Amazon forest. Lisbon has almost twice the number of tourists than Rio de Janeiro per year.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012

Brazil is also much larger, so it will take a significantly longer time to get maps ready. Also, it’s natural to focus on where your customers are when you are doing a rollout in several stages. I would imagine countries with a higher iPhone per capita would be prioritized to benefit Apple users as quickly as possible, since unlike Google Maps people who use Apple Maps are not spread relatively evenly across the globe.

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
It took them 5 years to get transit in Lisbon to Apple Maps however the guy from Brazil (I assume) had to find something to complain about. As an example, there are physical Apple stores in Rio and São Paulo whereas in Portugal for now we only have the online store at apple.com/pt, so what Apple chooses to do first depends on multiple factors.

Last edited:
Reactions: ipedro

sos47

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2016
so, it takes 20 or more years to scan all cities with metroes or buses? what about to increase manpower?

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
By the way, Lisbon got the transit added, but there’s no 3D flyover yet, only Porto, Braga and Coimbra have it. Basically I agree with those saying that Apple is taking too long to roll out these features worldwide.

Last edited:
Reactions: ipedro

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
If Brazil was so important, then how come all the Brazilians are leaving it to live en-masse in everyone else's country?! o_O

Reactions: Jeff Crouchley

Mario Leal

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2020

It’s so important that thousands of brazilians run to Portugal. Just use the product that fits your needs and stop bashing other countries.

Denny23

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2012
Nice! I actually live in one of the areas that was added, really cool to be able to explore the local environment from above. I already discovered a new hiking trail that I'd like to try, which I wouldn't have found without this tool ;)!

3D Maps.jpg

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I hope they add Leiden (home to the oldest university in the Netherlands) to the list. I wish I'd had this when I was there for a week in 2018. I explored the city on foot, purposely getting lost to see what I'd find. But it would have been handy to have 3D views or flyovers as I explored.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.