Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Maps has recently been updated with all-new transit data for New South Wales, Australia, allowing iOS users to navigate the area with the new addition of the NSW TrainLink line as well as bus stations. Before the update, only rail directions for Sydney Trains were available. Sydney, and now New South Wales as a whole, are still the only areas in Australia with Transit information available.

nsw-trainlink-transit.jpg

NSW TrainLink provides residents with transportation throughout New South Wales, and even extends above and below the states borders, to cities like Melbourne in the south and Brisbane in the north. The new transit additions should help tourists out, as well, since New South Wales also houses the popular destination -- and most populous city in the nation -- Sydney, Australia.

Transit directions became a helpful feature with the introduction of iOS 9, and has since expanded to be supported in 16 cities around the world. Including Sydney, Transit directions can be found in Seattle, Austin, Baltimore, Berlin, Boston, Chicago, London, Los Angeles, Mexico City, Montreal, Toronto, New York City, Philadelphia, San Francisco, and Washington, DC. There are also a few dozen cities in China that include Transit directions in Apple Maps.

(Thanks, DrHampton!)

Article Link: Apple Maps Expands Transit Data in New South Wales, Australia With TrainLink and Bus Routes

r.harris1

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
Thanks Apple.

Love,
Denver, CO

They seem to have only the one person beavering away on this. Ugh. One city somewhere on the planet every few weeks. Should knock it out in no time ;)

DanielDD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2013
Portugal
Sadly rollout is too slow, by now most of the countries in the west should have full transit directions.

It is only in Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Washington, Chicago, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Austin, Toronto, Montreal, Mexico City, London, Berlin, and Sidney... I agree with you.
Sadly that covers 4,8% of the population living in the west.

Reactions: Fzang

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Apple Transit and Apple Maps Flyover rollout is slow like hell. One single German city has Apple Maps Transit, there are hundreds of cities missing in Germany alone that have the local transit apps or Google transit. Flyover is not much better, there are a handful of German cities included, whereas Google Maps 3D has a few dozen. Apple will never catch up.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
It is only in Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Washington, Chicago, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Austin, Toronto, Montreal, Mexico City, London, Berlin, and Sidney... I agree with you.
Sadly that covers 4,8% of the population living in the west.
Not to be a thorn in the side, but most of my travels are between Chicago, DC, Philadelphia, and NYC. They have me totally covered and I am a happy apple maps user. Of course when I want to go almost anywhere else, then I am in trouble.

Davidglenn

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2014
I am sorry, but Google Maps does give me transit information. I also find it more accurate to the area and countries I go to. Apple Maps is visually vey good, but unfortunately it is the service I am after. Apple are just too slow and too selective on what they update.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Though one thing any would be tourist needs to take into account travelling around Australia , don't choose a train :) you are in for a rude shock how limited it is, buses are a much better alternative for travel interstate . Fly and drive .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.