Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In time for the 2016 Summer Olympics, Apple Maps now supports transit routing in Rio de Janeiro, the second most populous city in Brazil.

Apple-maps-transit-rio-de-janeiro.jpg

Transit directions are available for travel by bus, ferry, metro, and train throughout the Rio de Janeiro metropolitan area, including connections to and from Belford Roxo, Duque de Caxias, Itaboraí, Japeri, Magé, Mesquita, Nilópolis, Niterói, Nova Iguaçu, Queimados, São Gonçalo, and São João de Meriti.

Supported transit operators include Internorte, Intersul, Metrô Rio, SuperVia, and others.

Rio de Janeiro is the fifth new city to support Apple Maps transit over the past month, alongside Austin, Montréal, Portland, and Seattle.

Apple added Transit to Maps as part of iOS 9 in select cities around the world, including Baltimore, Berlin, Boston, Chicago, London, Los Angeles, Mexico City, New York City, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Sydney, Toronto, and 30 cities in China. Additional regions should be added over the coming weeks and months.

(Thanks, Ram!)

Article Link: Apple Maps Gains Transit in Rio de Janeiro Ahead of Summer Olympics

Reactions: appledefenceforce

EllieV

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
I'm already imagining athletes getting lost and things being delayed :p

More seriously, I wonder if they're all going to get Samsung phones again…

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
My understanding is that crime is fairly high in Rio and that they are trying to get that cleaned up for the Olympics. Still getting lost could be an issue especially in a place where you might not speak the language and that has a high crime rate. Hopefully things like this will help.

Harrycooke

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
London
My understanding is that crime is fairly high in Rio and that they are trying to get that cleaned up for the Olympics. Still getting lost could be an issue especially in a place where you might not speak the language and that has a high crime rate. Hopefully things like this will help.
They probably should have taken the money they spent on the olympics and spent it by investing in their less advantaged communities. I'm hoping that the games will pump more money in their economy so they can finally fix their disgustingly poor distribution of wealth.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Hopefully better than Russia's rushed construction and not finished hotels.
No, unfortunately it's worse. Take Russia's unfinished construction and add a cup of collapsed economy, 2 tbsp rampant crime, 3 sticks of substandard infrastructure, and 1 quart extremely polluted water. Mix it in a bowl and put in a dash of Zika virus. Baked at 350 for 40 minutes and you have Rio. Salt and pepper to taste. ;)Bon appetit

Last edited:
Reactions: b0fh666

riverfreak

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2005
Alabama

Prepare for the map to be totally red. I can't imagine any place I much rather not be than Rio for the olympics. Or any city for any olympics for that matter.

They've been trying for years to clean up crime in Rio. It's so bad people look at you like you're crazy if you bring a kindle or wear a watch to major spots like Ipanema, with vendors cautioning you not to be out after dark.

Not that darkness matters. There have been several high profile crime waves recently of big gangs of thugs combing beaches or blocking main transit tunnels and robbing everyone. In broad daylight. The police are ineffectual, and you can't blame them.

Oh well, at least it's not in São Paulo. The traffic there REALLY sucks

Hakujin

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2011
Prepare for the map to be totally red. I can't imagine any place I much rather not be than Rio for the olympics. Or any city for any olympics for that matter.

Actually, in London 2012, it was consistently easy to get around; things worked. Making all public transport free for the duration of the games helped a lot, and with all the volunteers helping everywhere in Central London, it was even a more pleasant experience than before or since. Residents were actually sorry when the Games were over. So, it can be done, but it takes a lot of ingredients.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.