CarPlay Apple Maps, Google Maps, or Waze?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by Ketsjap, Nov 27, 2018.

?

Which navigation service do you use on Carplay?

1. Apple Maps

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. Google Maps

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. Waze

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
  1. Ketsjap macrumors member

Ketsjap

It's been some time since Google Maps and Waze have launched on Apple Carplay. Which one do you use, and why?

I for one always tought Waze on Carplay would be awesome, but I ended up a bit dissapointed because of the lack of functionality and crappy layout of the app.

I don't know which one does the best dynamic rerouting these days. Google? Waze? Apple? What do you guys think?

2. Remington Steel macrumors member

I prefer Google Maps simply because of my addiction with satellite view. I tried Waze but I can't never figure out how to "disable" it on my phone (it is always running in the background) without just deleting it all together. I know, first world problem.

3. drmikey macrumors member

I prefer the look of Apple Maps and find it has gotten as good as Google 99% of the time at finding the right address. Google doesn’t show the speed limit which Waze and Apple do. I use that feature a lot. I also found while using Waze and Google that my phone was noticeably hotter than when running Apple Maps.

As another poster mentioned, Waze doesn’t automatically stop running in the background when I unplug my phone and get out of the car. An annoyance.

After trying all three, I’ve stuck with Apple. If Apple can’t find the address, it’s nice to have Google as a backup option, but without the speed limit and with the phone running hot I don’t use it daily.

4. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

I use Waze primarily for notifications of potholes and police. My wishlist would be for Waze's crowd sourced notifications, Google's lane guidance, and Apple's design.

5. PeteLP, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2018

PeteLP macrumors 6502

I have pretty much the same experience. I do find that 99% of the time, Apple is as good at routing and figuring out what I want for my destination. And like you, I do appreciate having google for those very rare occasions when Siri doesn't come up with a suitable destination on a voice request.

I have also had a few times when Apple knew about road closings when google didn't, (one of which where google took me far, far out of the way because it didn't know about the closing)

6. 212rikanmofo macrumors 68000

Apple, because I don't trust anything by Google anymore.

7. BeforeTheMeds, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 7:28 PM

BeforeTheMeds macrumors 6502

BeforeTheMeds

Our house, street or subdivision is not even on apple maps. Apple maps is spotty and sucks here.

I prefer waze but with typical apple limitations on carplay neither waze or google apps are any good. I’m actually very disappointed in carplay. I just use Sync3 navigation with voice.

Android auto is really much better, google assistant is a lot less limited. I may get a cheap android to leave in the truck.