Apple Maps Hints at Transit Directions Expanding in United States, Australia, Canada, and Europe

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 20, 2017 at 3:32 PM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple Maps has had a Transit tab since iOS 9, enabling iPhone users to navigate using buses, trains, and other forms of public transportation.

[​IMG]

At launch, the feature was limited to Baltimore, Berlin, Boston, Chicago, London, Los Angeles, Mexico City, New York, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Sydney, Toronto, and over 300 cities in China. Since then, Apple has been working to expand support for public transportation to other cities around the world.

Newer additions include Atlanta, Columbus, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Honolulu, Houston, Kansas City, Manchester, Melbourne, Miami, Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Montréal, New Orleans, Portland, Pittsburgh, Prague, Rio de Janeiro, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, San Antonio, San Diego, Seattle, and Vancouver, B.C.

Now, there is evidence to suggest that Apple Maps will soon support transit directions in several other cities around the world.

MacRumors reader Bernd Keuning, who keeps close tabs on Apple Maps and has been a reliable tipster, believes that we might soon see transit directions enabled in the following cities and countries, as station outlines visible on the map in each area have increased significantly in the past few weeks:
    Adelaide, Australia
    Perth, Australia
    German states of Hamburg, Bremen, Niedersachsen, and Schleswig-Holstein
    Las Vegas, NV
    Madrid
    The Netherlands
    Paris
    Phoenix, AZ
    Rome
    Singapore
    Taiwan
    Keuning also expects Apple Maps to eventually support transit directions in the following cities in the United States and Canada, but it might take longer for the feature to expand to these areas, as only a single or handful of red station outlines have been added over the past few weeks in most of these locations:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Buffalo, NY
    Calgary, Alberta
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Orlando, FL
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Nashville, TN
    Norfolk, VA
    St. Louis, MO
    Tucson, AZApple Maps typically adds station outlines to a city shortly before expanding support for transit directions to the area. MacRumors has verified that each city listed above does have at least one station outline in Apple Maps.

Keuning believes that the first areas to support Transit in Apple Maps next could include Adelaide, including at least all services from Adelaide Metro and Great Southern Rail intercity service to Melbourne, and the Netherlands, including international trains to Brussel, Berlin, Frankfurt, and possibly Paris.

Google Maps has offered wider support for transit directions for quite some time, but it's nice to see Apple Maps catching up with careful consideration.

A complete list of cities that support Transit in Apple Maps is available on the iOS Feature Availability page of Apple's website.

Article Link: Apple Maps Hints at Transit Directions Expanding in United States, Australia, Canada, and Europe

2. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Yay Calgary! I know we're a small fry but it will be nice to finally be included in Apple's world. (Even still, I'll just use TransitApp for bus times.)

3. JaJaWa macrumors regular

JaJaWa

They've also added outlines of all the stations and ferry routes in Hong Kong very recently so pretty sure we're getting it here soon.

4. verniesgarden macrumors 6502a

verniesgarden

well if they have one line for stlouis then they are done! that's the public transit we have!

5. Terrinb macrumors member

This is exciting stuff. I hope Apple has some other features in the works. For instance, Why doesn't the app let me know when I'm speeding? Currently I run Waze and Apple Maps at the same time. I run Waze in the background to let me know when I'm speeding and when there's traffic concerns. I use Apple Maps to give me directions because I think it does a better job at correcting for traffic conditions and getting me to where I'm going.

6. Jumeira macrumors newbie

Jumeira

If this the case, I also think Dubai will be included as well, after reading the article I launched the Apple map to check if the metro stations are included, and they are finally here! but the information provided by foursquare! We still don't have the navigation from apple maps, it will be great if it will work!

7. slu macrumors 68000

slu

Wow. Buffalo. Only 6 years after Google Maps. Well done Apple!

8. bluespark macrumors 6502a

Great to hear. I live in a city that has full Apple Maps transit support and it's excellent. While the launch of Apple Maps was a true debacle and it still isn't as up-to-date as Google, I really like the interface and it works well where I am. It has become my map app of choice on the strength of the interface.

9. whohasaquestion macrumors regular

Too bad I've already sacked Apple Map from ever appearing on my iPhone.

Two months ago, I used it to navigate to a place next to a freeway, Apple Map gave me the typical "You have arrived" while I was still on freeway overlooking the building. So I was supposed to park on freeway? Idiot.

Last week, I used it to take me to my new dentist office. Apple Map took me to a place that has ZERO resemblance (street name or number) to my intended destination and made me paid toll TWICE when really it should have been an easy 10 mins local drive.

10. ErikGrim macrumors 68030

ErikGrim

Brisbane, Australia would be nice. This rollout has been waaaaay slower than expected.

11. Sefstah macrumors 6502

How about letting us choose our own default map app to use already??

12. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

Rolls dice shouting COME ON DENMARK - COME ON AALBORG.

The house wins!! -- what the ....

Ideally - or not. I'll send the current bus and train times and stopping places for Aalborg and surroundings - Hey Apple, call me! You'll find my phone number on the back of a milk carton.

13. one more macrumors regular

one more

The problem with AM is that its performance varies a lot depending on the country > town > area you are in. Waze & Google do not have this problem in my experience, offering a decent "baseline" service. In iOS 9 I used AM most of the time & it was good, but in iOS 10 they took away some very useful hints, like "keep left" or "keep right" approaching big & complex junctions or high(motor)way exits, so I switched to Waze, reluctantly at first (also due to the UI cosmetics), but Waze really impressed me with the road data accuracy, POI search capability & more added bonuses. Once a month I retry Maps, check that the errors are still there, go "Bah" and go back to Waze.

14. itsmilo macrumors 6502

itsmilo

Greate, all states in Germany i havent even been to lol no love for the south

15. MacFinnley macrumors 6502

MacFinnley

Wtf? Where is Munich? It is THE city of Bavaria and a symbol for whole Germany. :(

16. Yumbo macrumors 6502

17. Glassed Silver macrumors 68000

Glassed Silver

Yo Apple, the time is running out.

documenta is taking place very soon in my home city, why dodge the city of Kassel?

Just a point of reference how many people will actually be here for 100 days: over 800,000 (accumulated).

Surely so many people would be impressed by an easy OS-integrated solution to navigate the city!

Bonus points if you map out the places of exhibition. It's quite huge. It is the world's biggest exhibition of modern art after all. *cough* something something Apple close to liberal arts *cough*

Glassed Silver:ios

18. cmmncw macrumors newbie

A couple not mentioned... Tampa, FL and Amsterdam. It's pretty easy to check to see if Apple is working on transit in a particular city if the city has the "nearby" feature. Just click on the searchbar, click on the blue "Travel" icon, then click on the blue "Transit Stations" icon. Then just zoom in on a few of the results to see if any of them have orange station outlines.

19. MrUNIMOG macrumors regular

MrUNIMOG

Google Maps has been around for quite some time, you know? 6 years ago, Apple Maps didn't even exist and iPhones came with Google Maps preinstalled.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 21, 2017 at 11:25 AM ---
    Had to wait long enough for Hamburg, when Berlin was there right from the start...

20. Jumeira macrumors newbie

Jumeira

For the first time, the traffic status just appeared on Apple maps, yesterday it wasn't available! This is in Dubai.

Attached Files:

21. one more macrumors regular

one more

Indeed, Google Maps has been around for a while & keep on advancing at a good pace. However, this is not a good excuse for AM to be trailing behind. It's like saying "Hey, that bakery was selling bread 10 years ago, so what's the point of trying baking anything better?" ;) We had a Google car driving up our driveway in a very remote French village four years ago, while AM vehicules were concentrated mostly around Paris. I really want AM to better both Google & Waze, but they really need to work hard now to achieve this.

22. MrUNIMOG macrumors regular

MrUNIMOG

Who said they weren't trying? Apple Maps has come a long way and I now actually like using it a lot more than I like Google Maps. A good Maps service is hard, even for a company like Apple – you can't just make it improve faster by throwing money at it.

23. mercybelcher macrumors newbie

Apple add transit the city of Paris
    --- Post Merged, Apr 23, 2017 at 9:20 PM ---
    --- Post Merged, Apr 23, 2017 at 9:23 PM ---
    Apple add transit the city of Paris

Attached Files:

24. whohasaquestion macrumors regular

There is nothing Apple Map can do which Google Map can't, other than iOS integration type of things.

Au contrary, I can think of many things Google Map can that Apple Map can't.

25. Creek0512, Apr 24, 2017 at 3:38 AM
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2017 at 3:52 AM

Creek0512 macrumors 6502

United States:
    1. Phoenix
    2. Orlando
    3. Tampa
    4. St. Louis
    5. Indianapolis
    6. Las Vegas
    7. Nashville
    8. Hampton Roads