Apple Maps: I'm in the house next door?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Michael Goff, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Does anyone else run into the problem where maps says they're in the house next door? Is there a setting for a better location service? I'm running 8.3 on my 6+.

2. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

You are inside your house when this happens? What happens if you go out in your yard?

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It could be pulling the location from your wifi. Try rebooting your phone turn wifi off and then launch maps. You should get a warning about locational accuracy being improved with wifi on. Ignore it. See where your iPhone places itself.

4. DomC macrumors 6502

DomC

Ha! I've apparently lived next door and across the street at various times.

5. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Yes, and I'll try tomorrow when I'm off work.

6. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G3

Michael Goff

With WiFi on at work, 50 or so miles away from where I am. With it off, it end up getting it after some loading. Also, there's no WiFi at my work that I can connect to.

7. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

Wifi helps with location when you connect to a router that is in Apples database with corresponding location data.

8. wilsonlaidlaw macrumors 6502

wilsonlaidlaw

You're lucky - I'm in the wrong country. My MBP and iPad (wifi) still think they are in the UK, whereas I have been 1000+km south of there in France for two months now. The Apple geniuses (up to third level) are baffled after trying everything they knew to get the MBP and iPad to force re-locate. They even suggested that I send an update to Skyhook of my MAC address, forgetting that Apple has not used Skyhook for geolocation for over two years. There is no accessible Apple data base to which you can send an MAC address update. I wish Apple would go back to Skyhook, as your location always used to update two or three days after sending them a MAC geolocation update.

9. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

GPS frequency bounces very poorly through walls/roofs, distorts positioning. That's all you're seeing. Distorts the timing that GPS uses to pinpoint location.