iPhone SE Apple Maps in China

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mk313, Sep 30, 2018.

1. mk313, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018

mk313 macrumors 6502a

We are travelled from to China next month and I’m curious if anyone who has been there can comment on the default apple maps app.

I generally use Waze for US driving, but know that google services are banned in China, and my go-to offline mapping software ((Here we go) doesn’t have offline maps for China. Based on some internet research, I did download maps.me, but I’d prefer to stay with the default app if it works. So far all of our hotels have shown up on Apple maps but every time i try to get driving directions (to the hotel from another location within China) it gives me a message that directions are not available.

We will have data on our phones, so I’m not worried about needing to access online data.

Thanks in advance,

2. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Apple Maps works fine in China for all features.

3. mk313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you!

4. jlevy73 macrumors member

Unless you can read Chinese, Apple Maps is very good, and for the most part very accurate. I lived in Beijing for several years and found myself using Apple Maps as my go to. You can get Waze and Google Maps to work if you are using VPN or on T-Mobile. Waze is garbage unless you know Chinese. Google Maps is pretty good as well. I just found it easier and less of a hassle to use Apple Maps.

5. mk313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fantastic, thanks! I use Waze at home, mainly because a they alert about police, but for ease of use with my iphone, I think that Apple Maps will be more convenient in China. Glad to hear that it works well.